State/Territory Politics

I am holidaying in Sydney so I had to listen to the coverage on ABC News Radio (on my way back from Supercars Newcastle 500) and watched the end of the count on ABC News channel in my apartment.
While I am not surprised that Labor was returned, the fact it increased its majority in the lower house surprised me. It even reclaimed the seat of Mount Waverley (my electorate) which had been Liberal since 2010.

Was that the TV coverage, local radio Melbourne or their own?

It was the coverage of ABC Radio Melbourne.

1 Like

Matthew Guy has stepped down as Victorian Liberal Party leader after the weekend’s election defeat and will not contest next week’s leadership ballot.

1 Like

"I would like to place on record my deep appreciation for the hard work of all my Liberal members in the last parliament. They were the most unified team of any parliamentary party in Australia.

…unlike all those backstabbers in the federal team. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

To their credit, they spent all their energy fighting their largest donor in court, so there wasn’t much left in the tank with which to use to throw leaders under the bus.

Many were urging him to resign for his poor efforts which led to the party getting smashed at the election.

“It is now time for all Liberals to put aside their differences at every level of the Party and work towards the Party’s most urgent and major goal which is the re-election of Scott Morrison as Prime Minister of Australia,” he said.

It’s now time? :joy:

3 Likes

Well, he can always work for Sky News :wink:

he is already on Sky News for the Conroy & Kroger show

He missed Jeff Kennett’s deadline but I reckon he’ll be happy.

Michael O’Brien was elected the new Liberal leader this morning, after the party’s stunning state election loss.

This morning, Labor labelled him “the Steven Bradbury of the Victorian Liberal Party” — referring to the Winter Olympic speed skater who won a gold medal after his competitors fell over — claiming most Liberal MPs preferred Mr Pesutto.

Kick them while they’re down. :joy:

1 Like

Disgusting re-design to mislead people into paying the gov’t more than they immediately need to, including many busy people who may not be able to afford this trickery.
It’s a shame that the ACT Liberal party are such a joke (including being too far right for the electorate) because it seems Labor have been in power here too long.
Apparently the only way this will change is if Barr get toppled by someone else within the ALP (just bizarre).

There needs to be an NSW ICAC, but the current version needs to be gutted and re-formed. Yet another controversy for ICAC:

Throwback Thursday to another of NSW Labor’s broken promises. Just a decade later, the Liberals and Nationals will deliver the first stage of Sydney Metro – despite Labor and people with short memories criticising the government for not cutting the ribbon on the rail line earlier and getting it built quicker. The NSW unemployment rate has a 3 in front of it and the economy is one of the fastest growing in the nation. Net state assets are up, not down and there’s record funding for schools and hospitals so I don’t trust a word the NSW Labor Party says. Until they clear out the relics from that period of government in their entirety, including disgraced former Randwick Councillor Michael Daley, I believe they are unelectable.

A turnaround in the polls.

I’m still not convinced that Labor can win. Gladys will just hold on even though she’s seen as toxic.

I’ll vote labor although I don’t agree with their policy on the stadium - that needs to be built and their policy on the western harbour tunnel to the northern beaches… that also needs to be built. They shouldn’t just go around cancelling things.

The monkey sponke - one of the many dangers of voting Labor - :crazy_face: