State/Territory Politics

1 Like

since there is a long list, i will only post the ministers taking over from the outgoing ministersā€™

Anthony Carbines will become Minister for Police, Minister for Crime Prevention and Minister for Racing.
Mary-Anne Thomas will become Minister for Health and Minister for Ambulance Service
Gabrielle Williams will take responsibility for the huge reform agenda in Mental Health and continue in the renamed portfolio as the Minister for Treaty and First Peoples.s.
Natalie Hutchins takes on the Education portfolio and becomes Minister for Women.
Steve Dimopolous Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major EventsMinister for Creative Industries

2 Likes
1 Like

We should be so lucky that far right ā€œpersonalitiesā€ in this country seem to be really fucking good at embarrassing themselves.

1 Like

Sonya Kilkenny, the incoming Minister for Corrections, Youth Justice, Victim Support, Fishing and Boating, was unable to attend due to COVID-19, and will be sworn in at a later date.

UPDATE 28/6:

Is it just me or is NSW going to swing Labor next election which isnā€™t far off. This Barilaro saga is the sort of stuff that sunk the Feds. Integrity is such a big factor in peopleā€™s votes now.

NSW and WA were usually Liberal until the recent Fed election

ā€˜Not tenableā€™: John Barilaro quits

2 Likes

Well those by elections didnā€™t go well for the liberals. Iā€™m no expert on NSW politics but I think federal politics will play a large role. I think hate for Morrison drove a lot of labors success at the state level since 2019. Perrottet will be hoping that people have forgotten about ScoMo by March, Albos honeymoon period should be over by then too.

State election is quite far off isnā€™t it? Things might cool off by then. Even the hate towards Scott Morrison. All I know is the Australian public seems to have very short memories.

I am actually surprised there is so much on the Barilaro job, politics has always been like this, all part of the industry, although often not as easy as what happened there.

Labor is starting to make more noise in NSW and some of it is not great - Chris Minns got off to a good start as opposition leader, but some of his takes recently are bizarre (like his obsession with speed camera signs)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty incredible, state politics has been out of the headlines recently, so I would have expected a correction in liberals favour.

That would be a relief to many Victorians. They wouldnā€™t want to go down the path of an extreme right wing government. It would be a disaster.

3 Likes

It was always going to happen regardless of who is the Liberal leader

I am comfortable with Daniel Andrews, but the situation is not healthy for democracy in Victoria. Looks like we are going to be a one party state for a long time.

We need some debate and contest of ideas, which the liberals are completely incompetent of. All they do is make personal attacks on Dan Andrews that no one buys.

VIC Libs are too stuck in their own echo chamber to realise how out of touch they are with the state, and that recruiting former footballers and other former sporting personalities isnā€™t going to help them whatsoever.

2 Likes

100% agree. Its good for a progressive state, but not so good for democracy.