State/Territory Politics

Thanks. A lot of questionable expenses there.

$1.5 million for a “mission statement”? Just get it done, why do they one?

$2.75 mil to increase national awareness of the Harbour Bridge. Surely everyone already knows what it is?

$2.425 mil for “4 core values”? Integrity, sustainability, suitability and value. There you go Mr Perrottet, send me a case of beer and give the other $2,424,950.80 back to the poor old taxpayer.

1 Like

Oh dear… That was satire.

11 Likes

Umm, @Radiohead

The Shovel never ceases to deliver.

Whatever, it just doesn’t seem good value to me.

1 Like

The usual suspects in the far right in the US have been mocking this harbour bridge flag project as well - was funny telling a right wing mate in the US that as someone from Perth it was the first I’d heard of the project and it was a conservative state government funding it.

3 Likes

Looks like there are some high profile Labor MPs in Victoria who won’t be contesting the next election, according to the Herald Sun.

James Merlino, Martin Foley, Lisa Neville and Martin Pakula are all tipped to announce their retirements tomorrow.

Jacinta is next in line after Andrews, Merlino would probably never get a look in at the job.

Loved watching Jacinta take on Barnaby Joyce on the echuca-Moama bridge before the election. She will make a great premier one day. James merlino is a great education minister but I don’t think he would be premier material. Not surprised Foley is resigning, his political career has peaked.

Merlino is a big loss. Really like him.

3 Likes

The four of them are leaving Victorian state cabinet immediately. I am surprised they don’t stay around in their current roles until the state election in November.

Given the likelihood of the Andrews Government being returned in November is incredibly high, it gives them a good opportunity to go to the election with the team that is highly likely (subject to election results) to have those roles in the next term.

It’s rare for there to be some ability to succession plan for ministers (usually you see these kinds of mass exoduses when there’s a fairly good feeling the Government won’t be returned to power)

2 Likes

Matthew Guy’s only comment that made the 6pm news last night was; “we have had 4 health ministers in 4 years, we are in a health crisis, what we need is stability”

does he think anything through?

Funnily enough those were the exact words that Mark Santomartino used in his report on 9.

Interesting to see Jacinta Allan recommended as Deputy Premier because she is of the same faction of Labor as Andrews. Traditionally they appoint someone from the right.

2 Likes

Not a surprise to see that many resignations within the Victorian Government, no question that the pandemic had a far bigger impact on state government ministers in Victoria than any other state.