Stan Sport

No. I’ve said this before:

Nine only has the TV and 9Now rights to the Australian Open. The deal was done before Stan Sport was even an idea.

9Now is streaming of all courts for Australian Open Tennis. Stan Sport only has Roland Garros and Wimbledon announced last year.

3 Likes

How come nine can only show the Australian open on 9now and not on stan sport? Surely stan sport and channel 9 aren’t that separate?

Yes. Ffs. Read 2 posts above. They are different deals. Nine and 9Now signed up before stan sport was a thing. Stan has French Open and Wimbledon rights.

4 Likes

Already started yesterday, there was a big WWOS promo for 2021.

When was this ever a thing? Nine’s contract was signed back in early 2018. 9Now tennis has been a roaring success in the VPM ratings, naturally considering what it offers in terms of the live streaming, amount of matches and run times. As it was with 7Tennis.

1 Like

So Nine have free to air tv and free streaming rights, but not pay tv/streaming rights? But Tennis Australia haven’t or can’t sell these rights to anyone else?

Or is Tennis Australia saying if all courts are streaming, they have to be made free for all viewers to avoid a 7 Comm Games paywall situation?

1 Like

Nine owns all the television rights in Australia, which would include subscription television rights, as Tennis Australia reported the deal:

4 Likes

I thought so. Thats why I didn’t understand the talk of only allowing it on 9now and 9. Nine can do whatever they want with the rights

3 Likes

It might then well be on Stan Sport next year, but it would be too soon (and it would be a Optus Sport World Cup/SBS type situation if they went too early.) to do it this year.

2 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Nine/Stan Rugby Union Coverage

Just a reminder, there’s a separate Stan/Nine Rugby thread.

This thread can be used for overall comments about the Stan Sport platform, new rights acquisitions etc.

1 Like

Stan Sport has got the rights to even more Rugby Union, this time getting The Top League from Japan. First game from 4pm tomorrow afternoon.

2 Likes

Stan could bid for the A-League television rights.

2 Likes

If it does happen, this is awesome for both Stan and Nine. Foxtel would have a massive competition come up.

2 Likes

They do have to be careful though - there is a history in recent years of FTA broadcasters moving into the pay TV sports market and it not ending well.

1 Like

C7 Sport
Ten linking up with Fox Sports (initially in 1995 with the Australian cricket tour of the West Indies, then V8 Supercars and more recently with the A League).

3 Likes

C7 sport was the last time a free to air network had a pay-Tv sports arm. The network broadcasted NSL football, AFL, Sheffield Shield cricket and the Sydney Olympics

2 Likes

The next sport that I am hearing is F1. Expect STAN to go after that.

2 Likes