Stan Sport

Sure but the rights agreement SBS has with the NBL allows them to air every game live on TV and/or online. Think that’s the aspect TheHomeOfMusic was referring to

4 Likes

Not sure whether the value is there - they better sign a few more sports up

3 Likes

For the meagre content it should be about $2. Maybe Stan should buy the Australian rights to the major rugby union competitions in some other countries if they want rugby enthusiasts to sign up.

5 Likes

$2 is probably the right price for someone like you, who is I’m guessing not at all a fan of rugby. The $10 price tag for is not going to put off any enthusiast in Australia, which covers arguably the best rugby in the world.

I don’t think other rights have been on offer, which is why Stan/Nine havent acquired any.

I do think this is a good start for the service. Maybe they could offer discounts for current Stan subscribers to upgrade, or have select games free to view throughout the season to draw people in

3 Likes

Stan Sport are looking good for their release, hopefully they can acquire more sports

1 Like

Stan Sport logo.

You will be able to watch every match of Wimbledon and Roland-Garros plus Rugby ad-free, live and on demand, right here on Stan as part of the add-on sport package.

Socials

https://twitter.com/stansportau

5 Likes

Assuming what’s already been announced is what Stan Sport launch with, it’ll be a complete and utter rip-off.

That’ll especially be the case for those who aren’t interested in Stan Entertainment but will be forced to get it in order to subscribe to Stan Sport considering Kayo offers a lot more content for $1 extra ($25 v $14 for Stan HD + $10 for the sport add-on)

1 Like

Have they said anything about a start date yet? Or they still just saying before super rugby?

1 Like

Looks good but I feel Stan Sport is missing an S, doesn’t sound right when saying it. Should be Stan Sports.

The plural form of “sport” is commonly “sport”. However, in North American English, the plural form of “sport” is “sports”.

Stan Sport is the Australian and British way of saying it. Stan Sports would sound more American.

It’s the same with other media in Australia. Newspapers and Television news programs say News and Sport. Fox Sports are different because they follow the names used by their American parent companies.

3 Likes

I don’t want the normal Stan content just the Sports stuff. How much will that cost?

1 Like

At this stage, there isn’t a sport only package you can purchase. You’ll need to subscribe to the regular service and then add on the sports package.

It’s not ideal, but that’s the only way they’re going to get some money back on their big investment and gamble on this service if it’s successful.

2 Likes

THE NEW HOME OF RUGBY CONFIRMS SPORT PACKAGE PRICING

Stan officially announces add-on Sport package will be available for $10 a month. Customers can pre-activate now to get a 30 day free trial for a limited time only.

Stan, the new home of Rugby, has today officially announced pricing for its new add- on Sport package in the lead up to the Super Rugby season kicking off.

Stan’s add-on Sport package will be available for $10 a month and Stan will be the only place to watch every match. Consumers can enjoy Rugby ad-free, live and on demand and can pre-activate the Sport package now to get a 30 day free trial for a limited time only. The 30 day free trial will start when Stan Sport launches. Pre-activating is as simple as visiting: Stan.com.au/sport

From later this week Stan customers will also start to see the Stan Sport menu item appear in their Stan app, where they will be able to pre-activate up until Stan Sport launches.

For the first time in the game’s history, the Super Rugby AU , Super Rugby Aotearoa and Trans-Tasman tournament will be shown live in fan-friendly timeslots, along with every kick, try and tackle of the Rugby Championship , Bledisloe Cup , Shute Shield , Hospital Cup , Currie Cup and New Zealand’s National Provincial Championship , plus Super W , Wallabies and Wallaroos test matches, SANZAAR Union home tests and more.

Stan CEO Mike Sneesby said: “As Rugby kicks off with Stan Sport, Stan will continue to deliver Australians the highest quality productions whilst maintaining great value for money. For the first time in Rugby’s history, fans can experience the game from its grassroots all the way to the international level, allowing a whole new generation of Australians to connect with the sport.”

Stan’s add-on Sport package will bring live streaming to more devices than any other streaming service, including: selected Smart TVs from Samsung, LG, Sony, Hisense, TCL, Panasonic and Android TVs; gaming consoles, including PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One, One S and One X; media players, including Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Fetch TV, Telstra TV and the Foxtel Now box; and via the web on Mac and Windows computers plus mobile devices, including iOS and Android.

Rugby fans can also relive the greatest moments of Australian Rugby, with access to an extensive library of classic Wallabies and Super Rugby matches on Stan.

Pre-activate your Sport package now to get a 30 day free trial for a limited time only.
Pre-activating is simple, just visit Stan.com.au/sport

6 Likes

Amazes me they’re not doing a sport only option for 14.99 or similar.

I get they want more overall subscribers but surely you offer a stand-alone sports tier, just at an inflated price.

3 Likes

Why did they bother doing this when Super rugby doesn’t start until the 19th of February?

3 Likes

I think it’s done to avoid a repeat of 2018 FIFA World Cup, when a rush of last minute registrations caused the Optus Sport service to crash, forcing it to share its allocation of matches with SBS.

1 Like

None of the sport really grabs me so i won’t be getting it

5 Likes

You would think Nine will promote Stan Sport quite a fair bit during their tennis coverage over the next few weeks. As such, beginning pre-activations now provide somewhere said promotions can point to for people interested in subscribing to it.

4 Likes

So looks like they’re not including ad-free Aussie Open coverage on this then - or not this year at least.

1 Like

Sometimes it seems like the Today Show exists purely to promote Stan.

4 Likes