Stan Sport

It’s still an early product, which hasn’t been released yet. We should see more sports pop up soon.

2 Likes

Won’t mind if Channel 9 buy the long-term rights to international cricket in England (much as Channel 7 did in the days of C7 Sport) and broadcast all non-Ashes series on Stan.

I understand that Fox Cricket has been recently buying the ECB rights on an ad hoc basis which increases uncertainty for fans.

2 Likes

Fox Sports does this with a lot of the cricket tours even the Australian overseas tours.

2 Likes

Didn’t they just sign a deal until 2023?

I believe Pakistan cricket is available and Australia will be going there next year. Perfect opportunity for Stan to sign up a long term deal right now similar to what Supersport in South Africa signed recently. https://supersport.com/cricket/news/201029_SuperSport_becomes_PCBs_broadcast_partner#:~:text=In%20a%20ground-breaking%20development,cricket%20until%20the%20three-test

3 Likes

Super Rugby kicks off in 47 days. So unless they have rights to classic rugby games, I’d say game 1 will launch the service

2 Likes

Ah, I missed that missive. Thanks.

I don’t think Pakistan cricket is that attractive a proposition in helping entice a lot of new subscribers, as the Australian tour is by no means a certainty.

I guess they’ll have to look at the Indian rights when they are available.

1 Like

I think one of the problems with international cricket is most cricket bodies (ECB, BCCI, CSA, etc) want to sell a package of all their series to international broadcasters, not just series involving Australia so it makes it hard for an Australian broadcaster to pick and choose which series to buy rights to.

The ECB might be the current exception selling The Ashes to Nine and the rest to Fox Sports.

1 Like

For FTA it would be a problem but it shouldn’t be a problem for a sports channel/service. And this new Stan Sports needs all the sport it can get.

4 Likes

The ECB know that the Ashes is worth a lot more then the rest of the offering and that its subject to separate rules in Australia

5 Likes

According to The Australian, Nine are reportedly interested in acquiring the rights to the NBL for Stan Sport once the current deal with SBS & ESPN ends in June.

If that does happen, the plan would be that Stan would exclusively air most games while some games would also air on one of Nine’s FTA channels

7 Likes

This would be great for both Stan Sports and Nine!

1 Like

It was only a couple of years ago that Nine let the NBL go as they weren’t prepared to commit to primetime coverage.

3 Likes

Yes, but now they have the means (a sport specific service) to show it anytime.

3 Likes

If Nine retains the netball rights, that’s most of its weekend afternoon schedule sorted, with NBL in summer and Super Netball/Sunday NRL in autumn and winter.

3 Likes

Good for Stan/Nine, but worse off for the fans who can currently live stream all games for free on SBS on Demand.

If I’m not mistaken Foxtel are in the mix with Nine for the Netball. Stan probably won’t be part of it unless they put the live and ondemand games Nine show on the service

4 Likes

If Stan & Nine buy sports, won’t that mean 9Now will be dead for sports? Isn’t Nine’s idea to brand 9Now with NINE?

1 Like

9Now would still live stream all sport that is live on Nine, and have catch up for those games, presumably.

3 Likes

Correct.

1 Like

I certainly hope not! Given Nine’s piss-poor treatment of the NBL in the past (matches on 9Go! in Standard Definition, dumping the NBL after one season). I am very happy with SBS’s coverage of the NBL.

3 Likes

The thing is it’s not SBS’ coverage, it’s the NBL’s own coverage and they just air it on ESPN and SBS.

5 Likes