Stan Sport

Hmmm, I’m not a huge football fan but at least it making people think about keeping Stan Sport all year round.

2 Likes

Is this a first for Australia? I don’t recall anyone else streaming live sport in 4k before

1 Like

Not to mention BeIN Sports’ new deal with Foxtel today meaning football fans will have to subscribe to 4 streaming services to see their teams live.

3 Likes

Yeah it would’ve been a great win for fans and Paramount+/10 if they were able to pick up these rights to minimize the number of subscriptions and fragmentation of the sport across platforms.

No doubt they’ll probably bid for EPL when they come up, but as CMO said there will be lots of competition.

Foxtel have streamed select sports in 4K before, right?

They’ve aired live sport in 4K - they haven’t offered 4K streams though

Probably like what they’ve done with rugby

I notice that Stan’s new deal with UEFA doesn’t mention the women’s version of Champions League. Will it be included in a separate contract?

1 Like

Expect Paramount+, incumbent rights holder Optus and beIN to be in the mix too. Remember beIN wanted the EPL rights in 2015 before Optus won it eventually and set up a market in the AU/NZ region after acquiring Setanta Sports.

It’s part of an existing deal with Sportsflick

1 Like

Will be interesting to see if Gem feature one live CL match per match day…or per midweek…or only the final on 9…or no matches on 9/Gem at all, and whether they will be using world feed commentary (the likes of Martin Tyler, Peter Drury etc)…and if they have an Aussie studio presentation and if so who is in the mix for those roles

They’ll take world feed, with a studio team for the match of the day, hosted maybe by Roz Kelly or any ex-SBS or Fox who are Optus/Paramount+/10 rejects.

No, if anything, the final, plus maybe a semi, would be the only match, probably on 9Gem.

1 Like

I was thinking they might show at least one CL game a week on Gem to get more people signing up to Stan Sport, as theyve done with rugby and French Open, and will do the next 2 weeks with Wimbledon…but what you said probably sounds more likely

If there was a massive match, say Messi v Ronaldo, or Manchester United v Manchester City or Liverpool, they might make an exception. Otherwise we will only see the UCL and UEL finals on 9Gem.

DAZN just announced it has global worldwide rights to the women’s UCL. The first two years will see matches streaming on DAZN’s platform as well as on YouTube.

3 Likes

The content here in Australia is only boxing and launched just before Christmas last year.

Yes. This is on top of that.

The first (next) two seasons will have all matches live on DAZN’s YouTube channel, with only one third of matches on YouTube for the last two years.

1 Like

Worst possible result as far as costs go! $24 is far too expensive. Haven’t noticed any complaints about Stan’s pricing on here. There were plenty about 10 All Access when it started. If Paramount+ keep their pricing at $8.99 including Football it’s going to be much better value than Stan. Not sure what I’ll do to watch the UCL but Stan is nowhere worth what they charge. Just greedy Nine! Might get Man United TV again and watch delayed matches.

1 Like

I really don’t see $24 a month as greedy…

4 Likes

When you look at what sport they have and the amount… yeah I reckon it is. Kayo is that much and has far more PREMIUM sport

6 Likes

Yeah especially when you consider the number of ways one could get Kayo at a reduced cost (eg energy providers, mobile/ internet providers, newspaper subsriptions etc)

I think Stan Sport is good value if you already have a Stan subscription, but if you’ve got no interest in the rest of Stan then for the vast majority of people it really doesn’t stack up yet to Kayo’s offering or P+'s at their price point.

Australia’s overseas cricket tours and the EPL are where I’d be looking if I were Stan.

3 Likes

I’m sure they have financial models that set a price point…

1 Like