Sports Tonight

Yes. As seen here, with the old Sports Tonight title banner partially visible on the upper mezzanine wall (top-left)

5 Likes

Unless you move weekend news down to Melbourne.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be surprised if this happens but the same control room crew does the news and sports tonight which is better than having another control room going in another state.

1 Like

I assume this anyway…could be wrong?

I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily retro, I for one wouldn’t want to see the multicolour Ten News intro back any time soon. But the new 2D look is fantastic.

The violins in the theme (at the opening pan) IMO don’t mesh with the circuit board look of the set, but the rest of the theme is fine.

2 Likes

If Sports Tonight can’t return as a weekly program at the moment, perhaps they could integrate “ST” News into the regular News updates, playing after every second update or something similar, as @cmo mentioned so that the Sports Tonight brand can get some exposure outside weekends to further re-establish the brand as a Ten staple.

Also, I think it would provide a point of difference to the other Networks, as theirs are the generic Sports updates, whereas Sports Tonight is a fully Sports driven program, providing a more in-depth look into all Sports codes for the day. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would do ST Branded Sports updates twice a night, presented by the local sports presenters. Just use ST GFX and send all markets a generic ST Background like what is behind Matt.

3 Likes

AFAIK When news/studio 10 comes out of Melbourne, it is still controlled from the Sydney studios.

Studio 10 yes, and the weeknightly The Project yes. News from Melbourne is controlled by Melbourne. National news from Brisbane is controlled by Sydney.

1 Like

Really stupid question: if Melbourne is switching its news as well as ADS and NEW, why are they the only one to duck the tease music bed under the second opening bit before bringing it back up when all other shows use the music bed presumably coming out of the second open?

1 Like

Melbourne uses a separate control room, staff and rundown template. I guess it’s a creative decision those folks use.

2 Likes

Wonder if Ten will air ST Sundays at 6pm? It’s a dead timeslot and they could rerun it later at night anyway like The Project. Perfect time for sports results and chat.

5 Likes

So shift the weekend news to Melbourne, or use the other part of the studio.

Cut the weekend bulletin to 30 minutes, starting at 5.30?

So? Plenty of Melbourne people could do weekend news, or fly Tarsh down. It’s a nice news set, may as well use it and Pyrmont is getting mighty busy.

just to confirm for folks, Australia has legislation mandating a standard 38 hour / 5 day work week… exceptions to the rule sure, but you cant have your weekday presenting backing up and doing the weekends too.

1 Like

But Angela Cox and other journo’s at other networks can work more hours? If Jennifer can present a 2 hour early news for coverage I think her filling in once every 6 months won’t do harm…

Oh, every 6 months. Ok carry on

This week WIN uses circle bug:

Ten:

15 Likes

Thank goodness, WIN did not use the Mappy Watermark for the Sports Tonight.

4 Likes