Sports That Don’t Have Or Need A Thread

2 Likes

re: SEN Group securing the replacement Super Netball licence

I did have a bit of a blink at the reference to SEN owning four basketball licences - although I suspect that’s because NZ women’s basketball is less visible than even the mens’ game (the “fourth” team is a womens counterpart to their Otago Nuggets team, in a revamped NZ women’s league that started last year).

Speaking of NZ basketball, and although this is a few months old:

This has a little bit more than meets the eye… because the Tuatara name isn’t entirely dying.

The same group took over the NZ NBL licence of Auckland’s Super City Rangers a couple of years ago and branded that under the Auckland Tuatara name… and that is not going away as far as I can tell; they finished the 2022-23 season and is looking fairly ready to go for 2023-24.

Given the expenses of having to go back-and-forth to Australia (as opposed to the Korean-targeted team basing themselves in Geelong), plus all the cruel problems of missing two seasons due to Covid border closures - they probably said “shove it” (by the sounds of how they treated the AUS Baseball Federation, with how they found out about the baseball section being liquidated) and stuck to a much more local competition, certainly one with a lot fewer expenses as they wouldn’t have to fly further than Invercargill, plus only having to pay 11 or 12 players and not 24 or 25.

Baseball’s always been a bit of a black sheep over there as far as diamond-sports have been concerned - even in mens, the “Blacksox” national softball team has a lot more noticed than the baseball, in the minimal space left after rugby and cricket takes its share (something of course Australian baseball is feeling too, this is not the 90s heyday). Tis a bit of a shame though.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Watching the football on TV (any code) over here in WA is taking a bit of getting used to.

First, that when night games start in the east, it’s still daylight outside here. And when it finishes, my NSW brain tells me it’s time for bed.

But then I realise “oh it’s only 8-8.30 here, what do i do now?”. At the moment, my only answer is “time for another beer!”.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Bit of revenge/payback for the loss of the 2018 Commonwealth Games gold medal match on the Gold Coast a few years ago.

Though it is also worth noting the Diamonds did deny England the chance to play in the gold medal match in Birmingham last year.

2 Likes

Apologies in advance for the self indulgence as well as for those Sydney folk who are going to be stuck indoors for a lot of their Sunday, but this Sunday’s City2Surf will be my first in 6 years. Won’t get near my best time of 68 minutes in 2014 (even splitting either side of Heartbreak Hill) but it’s traditionally been the start of the preparation for marathons later in the year (Sydney and Melbourne, and possibly Auckland) so I’m looking forward to the training hit out…and less about the PT ride back to the city but that’s for another thread.

3 Likes

News.com report

Swimming Australia has been threatened with expulsion from membership of the sport’s global governing body over serious concerns about the way the sport is being run. Swimming Australia has been contacted for comment but it is understood an emergency meeting of the board of directors has been called for this week.

1 Like

USA annoyed with being beaten? :wink:

huh? just links to CNET?

I didn’t insert a link - the forum software turned it into one.

2 Likes

I can’t find the article on news.com.au anyway…

Pay walls

A bombshell less than a year out from the Paris Olympics.

DETAILS: https://t.co/rPCJh2YC81 pic.twitter.com/xLCfdCZdS5

— Courier Mail Sport (@cmail_sport) August 16, 2023

https://www.codesports.com.au/swimming/swimming-australia-threatened-with-expulsion-from-world-aquatics-over-governance-issues/news-story/e76275f7382ac4b5964c7c3f453e17b6#:~:text=the%20close%20button.-,Swimming%20Australia%20has%20been%20threatened%20with%20expulsion%20from%20membership%20of,been%20called%20for%20this%20week.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/olympics/swimming-australia-threatened-with-expulsion-from-world-aquatics-over-governance-issues/news-story/e76275f7382ac4b5964c7c3f453e17b6

2 Likes

Without:

Jeez, surely they won’t kick them out?

1 Like

Swimming Australia administratively have been a mess for a long time. The success of the team have been sugarcoating it.

2 Likes

More info from ABC

3 Likes

They’re scared of Australia being a swimming powerhouse

they’re not

7 Likes

Angie Ballard and Curtis McGrath were named co-captains of Australian Paralympic Team today, exactly one year from the opening ceremony of Paris Paralympics.

1 Like
3 Likes