Sports That Don’t Have Or Need A Thread

There is no thread for the 2026 Commonwealth Games but it looks like Australia might get the games (again) in 2026.

Adelaide looks by far the strongest bidders.

Other cities/nations to state their intention to bid include:
Papua New Guinea
India
Fiji
Malaysia
Western Sydney
Perth

1 Like

The NSW state government has shown no interest so I think we can cross out Western Sydney.

1 Like

Yeah, “Western Sydney interested in hosting Commonwealth Games” sounds like something that would’ve been a far more realistic proposition in the mid-late 1990s.

Perth placed a bid for the 2026 commonwealth games but cancelled last year. I don’t know why perth pulled out of the bid.
Meanwhile I think Adelaide will be strong favourites for the 2026 commonwealth games. Papua New Guinea doesn’t have the minimum capacity to host a number of events. I think This will be held somewhere in March. Similar to the one Melbourne hosted in mid march to avoid clashing with afl. However nrl went ahead in 2006. But after the commonwealth games finishes, crows and power home games will be played at neutral cenues to coincide restoration at Adelaide oval e.g. Traeger Park, TIO stadium, Cazaly stadium. (AAMI stadium grandstands has been demolished recently).

I was meaning the cities that also were interested but ruled out bidding

Look, Adelaide has the strongest Bid by far however I would love to see PNG host the games. Backing off hosting the 2015 Pacific Games and Rugby League World Cup hopefully they can host a games in the future. I want the other nations to host the games so that the Commonwealth Games can remain relevant.

The main stadium, sir John guise stadium holds 15000 in capacity and I would like to see an expansion of the stadium to 25k. This stadium will be used for opening and closing ceremonies and also athletics.
But in sep 2019, an election will be held in Rwanda to see who wins the right to host 2026 Games.

I have just finished doing some research. Commonwealth nations haven’t bidded for the Olympics very much which probably explains what is going on with the lack of bids. A few graphics I researched to make and show how bidding goes wrong.

Nations that should look at hosting the games include:
Nigeria
Kenya
Botswana
Senegal
Jamaica
Wales
New Zealand
Papua New Guinea
Fiji
Sri Lanka
India
Singapore
Malaysia
Bahamas
Trinidad and Tobago
Isle of Man

Sports that don’t have or need a thread :+1:
:joy:

1 Like

Soggy sao? :rofl:

South Africa will host Netball World Cup for the first time, beating a strong bid from NZ to host the 2023 tournament.

Nine will show the 2019 competition from Liverpool in England in July. Who knows if Nine will still have the netball rights by then.

China will host the AFC Asian Cup in 2023.

Anyone following Hockey One? #UnleashTheBeast

Toronto Raptors have become the first Canadian team to win the NBA championship. They beat Golden State Warriors in game 6 of the NBA finals in Oakland to win the series 4-2.

I know long distance running has a low profile at best, but I was proud again to take part in the Comrades Marathon in South Africa, their biggest marathon which is an Ultra. Every year it alternates between going from Durban to Pietermaritzburg (as it was this year) and the opposite direction (which it will be for the next 2 years as 2021 signifies the 100th anniversary of the first race, it wasn’t run for a handful of years during WWII). Significance of this year was this year was the first time ever that a female runner (who have only been officially given their own category since 1975) named Gerda Steyn (who finished top 20 at the New York Marathon) covered what’s known as the UP run course (Town Hall in Durban to Scottsville Racecourse in PMB) in under 6 hours. The distance this year was 86.7km, next year when it reverts to the DOWN run with the finish line at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban (same venue built for the 2010 World Cup, next door to Kings Park which is the home of the Sharks in Super Rugby and 3km from Kingsmead Cricket Ground which was the finish line prior to 2018) the distance will be over 90km.

As for me? It’s now 3 starts for 3 non-finishes. There are intermediate cut off points along the course as well as a 12 hour time limit to complete the course to get a medal (and unlike major marathons the time starts when the gun goes off rather than when you cross the start line), and I didn’t make it in time to beat the cutoff after the last climb known as Polly Shortts (not a typo). 139 Australians were registered (there were only more South Africans, Britons, Zimbabweans, Indians and Brazilians in the field), 101 of these finished the race, another 3 completed the course outside the 12 hour limit, and about 15 others didn’t see the finish line on foot. The quickest of our runners finished 46th overall (44th man) running 6:22.

If you want to join me for 2020 entries generally open around September, all you need to enter is R3300 and to have run a standard 42.2km marathon in less than 4:50 (any marathon around the world will do as long as the time is electronically measured and chip time is accepted, races longer than 42.2km are also accepted with longer time benchmarks, and even completing a marathon leg of a full 140.6 Ironman Triathlon is sufficient). Next year there are 7000 of the 25000 available entries reserved for first timers (known as Novices), but to enter you have to run the qualifying time first.

1 Like

It was confirmed yesterday that Australia will take part in Copa America for the first time. The Socceroos will play the 47th Copa America, in Argentina and Colombia from 12 June to 12 July next year. Qatar, the host of 2022 FIFA World Cup, has also accepted an invitation to participate in the 2020 tournament. Qatar is currently playing in group B of this year’s Copa America.
Copa America is the quadrennial soccer tournament between the 10 South American nations that make up the continent’s governing body CONMEBOL.

Football Federation Australia boss David Gallop confirmed today Australia had held discussions with Indonesia on a joint bid for FIFA World Cup 2034. Very unusual.

The Pacific Games are being held in Apia, Samoa with the Opening Ceremony last night.

2015s games in PNG were broadcasted on NITV in Australia but this years games are only streamed on the Olympic Channel with lots of buffering and streaming issues.

Why didnt the AOC try to get a broadcaster to broadcast the games?

2 Likes

Perhaps no broadcaster wants it? It’s fairly ordinary in terms of quality of those competing.

1 Like

The Australian government is funding the ABC producing some of the television coverage, so it is odd that none of it will be shown here, it seems.