Olympics Coverage - History

2 Likes

So in the next cycle for the Olympics we have a bumper schedule of Aussie involved multi sport events
Pacific Games
2021 Summer Olympic Games- Tokyo, Japan (Channel Seven)
2021 Summer Paralympic Games- Tokyo, Japan (Channel Seven)
2022 Winter Olympic Games- Beijing, China
2022 Winter Paralympic Games- Beijing, China
2022 World Games- Birmingham, USA
2022 Commonwealth Games- Birmingham, England
2022 Asian Games- Hangzhou, China
2023 Pacific Games- Honiara, Samoa
2024 Summer Olympic Games- Paris, France
2026 Summer Paralympic Games- Paris, France

4 Likes

Think you meant 2024 there.

There’s also the 2026 Commonwealth Games which Adelaide is bidding on.

This is a thread for Olympics coverage history. Leave the discussion on future events elsewhere please

3 Likes

There isn’t another thread mate

3 Likes

SBS TV guide for their coverage of the 2008 Olympics shared with 7

4 Likes

Is this the only olympics where SBS had shared coverage?

No, I think there was shared coverage with Athens, too (though I am happy to be corrected).

SBS also covered the Athens Paralympics, unshared, where the closing ceremony was cut short due to a tragic bus accident that killed seven children who were travelling to watch the final day of action.

2 Likes

7 and SBS also did coverage for Athens in similar fashion to Beijing’s.

1 Like

10’s set for Sochi 2014. Their coverage was quite good with Channels 10 and One used as well as 6 streams on TenPlay

5 Likes

Seven’s live coverage of 2000 Olympics winning bid announcement with Ann Sanders, Gary Wilkinson, Bruce McAvaney and Ray Martin:

7 Likes

10’s promo for Sochi 2014 “Just add Snow” which was seen during their inaugural coverage of the BBL.

I believed they won an award for this promo from the IOC in the Olympic Golden Rings for “best promo” category. Seven also picked up the award in 2008 despite criticism from viewers.

2 Likes

7’s Athens 2004 intro. Music used is “Explosive” Bond

3 Likes

i liked the opener Seven had for Athens

sadly, no one has ever uploaded the SBS version

3 Likes

Yesterday the ABC announced it would be making a film about Cathy Freeman’s 400m gold at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, and the public’s recollection about that event. The film will be shown later this year.

2 Likes

Roy and HG were the special topic on tonight’s Australian Story on the ABC. They briefly talked about The Dream, and its success. They were happy that Seven asked them to do the Sydney Olympics and its 2-hour nightly show (of The Dream). Later editions of The Dream in Athens and The Ice Dream editions weren’t as successful, but they enjoyed doing them.

Wasn’t sure where to add this info

2 Likes

They did an edition for the RWC in 2003 as well as on 10 for Sochi 2014 which was titled Roy and HG’s Russia revolution

3 Likes

Olympic Channel has already uploaded all the Opening Ceremonies from the Summer Olympics since 1992. Great to relieve them in full

2 Likes

Closing too?

1 Like