Sports That Don’t Have Or Need A Thread

I had a look at the TV guides and even though that is the case there is no broadcast on Television in Australia.

Same thing happened with the European Games. In 2015 they were on 7mate but this year only streaming however you understand that more when there is no Australian team competing.

3 Likes

Ash Barty has just been eliminated from Wimbledon 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 by unseeded American Alison Riske (who I had not heard of before).

It was a gripping final set for the first few games with each holding serve, before Riske broke Barty’s serve and then served out the match.

What’s interesting was that fans chanted “equal pay” after the final whistle, protesting at less prizemoney for women’s players.

1 Like

They deserve it too - especially the US team. Their men’s team sucks.

Especially since Sky Sport NZ is showing 8 hours of live coverage during each day of the Games. Just found out tonight.

1 Like

Australia have drawn Jordan, Chinese Taipei, Kuwait and Nepal in Group B in the second round of FIFA World Cup 2022 Asian qualifiers. The draw was held at Kuala Lumpur tonight. The Socceroos will play eight matches (four home and four away) between September this year and June 2020. The eight group winners and four best runners-up (12 nations) will advance to the final round of AFC qualifying for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022. Those same 12 countries will also book their spot in the 2023 AFC Asian Cup which will be held in China.

The first game will be played on 5 September 2019 (as confirmed), however there is no FTA broadcaster for the Socceroos qualifiers. EIght winners and four best runners up will advance to the final round where they will be split up into two groups. If AUstralia finishes 3rd, then they will advanced to the 4th round to determine who will advance to the inter-continental playoffs. I think that the 4th Round and the intercontinental playoffs will be held somewhere in early 2022 (January or March, as this clashes with the 2022 Winter Olympic Games in Beijing)
Of course, Qatar Airways has automatically qualified in the 2022 FIFA world cup.

Would be the first time an airline is represented at the World Cup

2 Likes

In 2017, Qatar Airways has announced its Sponsorship for the Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022. Emirates has already pulled out sponsorship because I believe that is due to UAE cutting diplomatic ties with Qatar.
@the_xrod - I’m just saying the country, not the national airline!

Imagine the formation! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Like the Socceroos’ qualifying campaign for last year’s World Cup in Russia, the Asian Football Confederation sells the World Cup Asian Qualifiers as a separate package, which means even Fox Sports will have to bid against other Australian networks (if they are interested at all). And since there are talks of Fox Sports offloading an A-League game to another FTA network to save costs, I can’t see it paying too much for the rights to the Asian qualifiers.

Manchester United smashed Leeds United 4-0 in front of 55 274 people at Optus Stsdium. The crowd was higher than the Manchester United v Perth glory match last Saturday.

The Formula One Grand Prix will stay in Melbourne for another two years until 2025, meaning the city will have hosted the race 30 years in a row.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/07/19/new-contract-keeps-f1-in-australia-until-2025/

the 2nd round qualifiers for The Socceroos matches have been finalised as part of The 2022 FIFA World Cup qualification

Just love the fact that whoever did the draw has a sense of humour putting Iraq and Iran in the same group, and also both Korea’s in another same group.

The pool competition at the FINA World Championships began yesterday at Gwangju, South Korea. As previously reported, no Australian network has picked up the rights due to exorbitant price set by FINA. The good news is that Swimming Australia has acquired streaming rights to the champs and is able to stream the event free on its iSwim app.
https://www.swimming.org.au/swim-articles/watch-worlds-live-free-swimming-australias-app-iswim

Meanwhile some networks obtained footage from the Olympic Channel in the US which is showing the event there.

1 Like

New Zealand have won the netball World Cup for the first time since 2003, beating Australia 52-51 in a thriller in Liverpool.

1 Like

They punch above their weight, the Kiwis.

Netball World Cup winners, very nearly won the Cricket World Cup and will probably win the Rugby World Cup later this year.

A huge turnaround for the Silver Ferns after they failed to grab any medal at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games last year.

1 Like

On the Nine News report tonight, I saw watermarks from CBC Sport, RAI Sport, NBC and FinaTV, which all looked like Youtube uploads, lol.

1 Like