Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Exactly. Luke is a good operator, he understands the need for timecalls, even if the Gen Y have smartphones.

His show spans midnight - 5:30am in the AEDT states but WA audiences hear it it from 9pm - 2:30am their time.

Be interested to know what slots in after the Bunbury hub goes to bed once their drive show is over?

1 Like

Sorry it’s pretty uninteresting to me. I’ve worked in the corporate world across all three eastern states and SA and an hour time difference here and there makes absolutely no difference to anyone. A radio show spending 20 minutes interviewing a Mayor about it seems to be reaching for something to talk about.

1 Like

@Awabakal
Sorry those topics still sound bogan to me, particularly the drugs and security guards in Fortitude Valley! Brisbane listeners have heard it all before and interstate listeners don’t know where it is and don’t care! And playing the populist race issue? To me this is just aimed at the lowest common denominator. As other posters have commented, people outside Qld wouldn’t know that Fortitude Valley is an inner suburb of Brisbane like Sydney’s Kings Cross or Darlinghurst. But even if they did it doesn’t make it any more than 60 Minutes style titillation. To each their own but for me it’s boring and low brow. I’d rather hear an announcer play an album and talk in depth about some quality rock music and history.

4 Likes

It’s mid-dawns we’re talking about. Who is actually listening.

They could play 90s pop and I doubt many would even notice.

And if I want talk, I’ll go to the ABC or a proper talk station like 2GB.

3 Likes

Triple M should network Hadley beyond the handful of stations he is on now so all of Australia gets to hear him.

Hmmmmm… I’m not sure that he would appeal to Victorians, and the time difference to WA would also be an issue.

1 Like

If Bona is doing talkback right why is everyone complaining, mid dawns for those who work that time which I doubt many people on here work over night, listening to music (2 or 3 songs then ads) is horrible to keep you up, it’s the same stuff. An engaging talkback show with music involved is great to keep the mind active. SCA regional have GYIM from 7 until 10 with all those things Brian spoke about. Who said Bona was bogan and why is his show bogan? Who said sport was bogan and why can’t FM broadcast sport? Like I understand the cricket and people being upset with that, while I thought the coverage was good I understand it being a long game and can be flat at times. But how is everything triple m does bogan simply because they aren’t doing what smooth are? I agree triple m need to change some things in Sydney and likely Brisbane too (Melbourne running strong) but they are no more bogan than WS.

3 Likes

He wouldn’t appeal to Regional SA either. I lot of people were very happy when 963 Triple M dropped the Alan Jones network show.

1 Like

it’s simple - people here live in the past. They want their glory FM104 back. They don’t like change and they don’t like the fact that stations move on.

They have no idea how much money MMM makes from being a sole-focused male network. The ad revenue they can attract from focusing on these ad spenders is huge. Same as 2GB and their 65+ ad market.

Just because I was an announcer on MMM at one time doesn’t mean I’m necessarily a “bogan.” If I am, I’m an Aboriginal bogan and proud of it!

2 Likes

100% agree, I love what Triple M do, music wise I’d adjust that on both metro and regional to add variety into the format, listened to Adelaide and Brisbane today, music is good on there just need to lower the amount of times they spin those songs though. And of course bring back the DSL. But what they do with sport is terrific.

1 Like

Not all change is good, so why should people automatically like change? Your presumption that MMM is making more money now is lacking any proof. I’m pretty sure the most profitable station out there at the moment isn’t MMM, despite SCA spin.

People only like change if it’s better and not just for the sake of change or the spin about the blokey focus being an advertising goldmine. They have to say something like that with ratings so low.

And listeners don’t listen because it suits advertisers, announcers egos or the station owners. They listen if they like the content.

1 Like

sadly though Brian, and trust me I actually do like what you bring to this forum and I like having a good debate with you, but I hate to say this - radio proprietors these days program for advertisers not listeners. Getting the balance between the two is what they aim to do, but mostly fail.

1 Like

That pesky sales staff, also why we don’t hear variety in playlists as well, save on royalty payments.

Yes I understand the need to balance the needs of both. I agree with you I just don’t think they do it very well. The situation isn’t very different from other industries unfortunately. Seems to be bad corporate culture at the root of it in many cases. My fear is if they don’t do better and continue to program solely for advertisers they’ll threaten the long term viability of the industry.

1 Like

APRA actually sets the royalties as a percentage of revenue - so it doesn’t matter how much or what music a station plays, it will cost the same.

Only in percentage terms, not in dollars (otherwise SCA wouldn’t have agreed to pay Nine 50% instead of their previous lower percentage TV affiliation deal with Ten).

Also broadcasters try to give advertisers what they want, but advertisers want listeners/viewers to hear/see their ads, so the actual programming needs to appeal to the listening/viewing audience.

Well duh. Did you read the first part of my post?

So then even 2GB pays the same % of revenue as a royalty even though they hardly play any music?

2SM only plays a few songs, so they would pay the same % of revenue as as 2DayFM which is almost wall to wall music.

1 Like

2GB and 2UE would pay less than 2DayFM.

[quote]Commercial Radio

Stations pay fees monthly based on a percentage of the station’s gross advertising revenue in that month. The rate varies from 0.054% to 3.76%. This rate depends on the amount of registered works broadcast as a percentage of their on-air time.

http://apraamcos.com.au/music-customers/licence-types/radio/commercial-radio-and-abcsbs/[/quote]

2 Likes