Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

I get what you’re saying; I meant the choice & amount of music does matter because of it resulting in a larger/smaller audience, but Radiohead has a point too…

…Is it actually the percentage of a station’s raw/total revenue, or only calculated based on the percentage of time music is on-air?

Edit: Thanks for this clarification (I saw it right after I posted):

2 Likes

So there is some truth in the argument that stations like Triple M are running overnight talkback to save some $$$ on royalties.

1 Like

It’s more expensive to run talk well. Producer to hire, quality announcer who can handle talkback doesn’t come cheap. Far exceeds the royalty saved.

1 Like

But when networked across a number of stations, there are probably savings overall.

Heard some gems on KO over night, wake me up before you Go Go, moving on up which isn’t heard much on commercial radio nowadays among many others. Did KO run their own log overnight with the regionals taking Luke Bona? If so they should use their own log all the time much better than what’s usually on when it’s the Gold Coast log.

1 Like

KO FM runs their own log 24/7 when Nick Blanch is working, if he’s away, or the Christmas break etc, it goes to GOLD FM feed. KO FM takes the Bona show from Monday week. Maestro doesn’t play well with automation from another source, hence why NX and KO run button-pushers until 10pm. This will soon change though when they move into their Honeysuckle office.

1 Like

They won’t relocate Maestro like they did in Adelaide? (And other metros previously).

from what I understand, all fitted out with Zetta.

1 Like

[quote=“Awabakal, post:815, topic:56”]
from what I understand, all fitted out with Zetta
[/quote]interesting. I had heard a runout that SCA were looking into a Zetta rollout. I guess Newcastle will be the trial market then?

Not sure, I do know one of their Central Coast announcers, Cam St Clair, has been appointed to some sort of role with playouts and the like. I do know that Newcastle won’t be taking their awful system though.

1 Like

Thanks mate didn’t know that so how did they run TBTN and when the Gold Coast announced comes on until midnight?

from what I understand they simply allow automation to do Talking Back The Night then go into their previous days playlist mixed around from 1am. I may be wrong on that though, there might be a panel operator until 1am for KO FM

1 Like

I know they automate on hit 106.9 at that time as they still have ads from mid last year (advertising the Gold Coast 600).
Last night on KO it was mostly unclogged stuff on air which was good to here didn’t have to switch when I heard one of the terrible new songs like Madden Brothers, Rag n Bone Man or those new slow ones they seem to play a lot. Or the likes of ugh Green Day and some of those disgusting grunge songs.

how hard is it for traffic to get that right. fair dinkum

Wouldn’t be many listeners but still.

When KO moves to the Honeysuckle precinct, the problem will be solved. Maestro kept panel ops in jobs at the metros for years.

Of course, Maestro was designed for an era of local radio.

On other matters, what is Christian Argenti going to do now?

Rebel FM is (apart from the full album sides) like that too!

2 Likes

I know he has been on toasted TV and totally wild but what other stuff has he done any news reporting

I heard the tailend of My Generation on KO FM on Sunday night - ran from 8 until 10 apparently. Lots of Triple M references by Phil.