Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Sea Fm found they weren’t getting as many crossover calls as Triple M were.

Since moving off landlines it’s been harder to finesse these collection areas, as the mobile zones are much broader, and carriers tag their cell towers differently.

3 Likes

I’m aware how it works technically. I have also dealt with routing of 13/1300 numbers.

My question is because the Gold Coast stations have considerable reach into Brisbane and the Brisbane stations have considerable reach into tue Gold Coast - enough to even be included in the Gold Coast ratings. There would therefore be a large area where people could be legally listening to either station. The Gold Coast say that over 20,000 people in the Gold Coast licence area are listening to B105. SCA acknowledged this was an issue by getting a separate number for Triple M Gold Coast when they reconfigured the numbers to be the same for metro and regional.

Thanks, that quite interesting. So were 92.5 using 133353 for a bit before getting the 1300 number?

Maybe it comes down to the difference in music on the Triple M’s - it gives a reason to listen to an out of area station, which B105 and Sea being more similar removes to reason to not listen to the local version.

2 Likes

Is the regional Hit Network also using 13 10 60 now as a local number too? It only makes sense.

3 Likes
3 Likes

As was Triple M Goulburn Valley, which uses the same 1300 number as the Gold Coast.

Believe Gippsland uses an 03 local number due to Melbourne overspill but can’t confirm. It’s anyone’s guess as to what happens with calls to 1 333 53 during networked shifts - perhaps an argument to network shows from Melbourne rather than Albury (and Gold Coast/Townsville before that).

1 Like

I thought Triple M Gippsland used the 1300 MMM 925 number similar to GC?

2 Likes

That would make sense: can’t see it listed on their website or Facebook which is where my doubt came from.

1 Like

Listening to Triple M Gippsland this morning I can confirm they’re using 1300 925 666.

4 Likes

Something that really annoys me about Triple M Gippsland is that they rarely mention their on-air frequencies of 94.3 and 97.9. I reckon Ed on breakfast mentions them occasionally when promoting Triple M Footy, but the general imaging and station promos don’t make any mention of the frequencies.

This compares with Ace Radio in the area which never shies away from the fact that TRFM is on two frequencies and the same on Gold where they even go through the mouthful that is “Gippsland’s Gold, 98.3FM, 1242AM”. The afternoon announcer even occasionally throws in the third Bemm River frequency.

I thought this should be essential for stations broadcasting across a large regional area with multiple frequencies. Especially for tourists in the area who might not necessarily have RDS with AF in their car and not realise there is a better quality signal available on a different frequency.

5 Likes

101.7 WS FM (Sydney): I’ve never heard this station mention their 88.3 & 99.1 frequencies in western Sydney.

I would have thought so as well. I find it quite bizarre that many stations don’t bother or rarely, mention on air their frequencies. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Fair chance that’s because they don’t know they exist, over the past few years, ARN have had at least a couple of new tech managers come in who didn’t know these frequencies existed, or that they owned & operated the 2 translator sites, without TXA telling them they did, by asking for site access permission, they still wouldn’t know they have them. Technical team now know they exist, I doubt anyone else at ARN Sydney know about them, especially the programming/on air team.

Reminds a bit of the accountants at 2KY/Sky Racing Radio a few years back who wanted to sell a parcel of land they owned at Homebush Bay as they thought it was vacant land, wasn’t until the Techs got wind of it & said hang on a second, that land is in use, that’s our transmitter site, we can’t sell that.

13 Likes

OMG. :rofl: :roll_eyes: :man_facepalming:
I’m obviously not the only one with problems dealing with some people in management.

5 Likes

that’s funny, i would have loved to see the shtstorm if the sale happened :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

And yet as Star FM, the jocks would mention both frequencies :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I guess with the increased usage of streaming, terrestrial FM frequencies are becoming not as important.

2 Likes

Clueless management has got the industry to where it is today:

I was the tech at a nameless SCA almost metro station once and the genius’ decided they were going to give Tel$tra the heave ho as their phone service provider to save a bit of money. Telstra had a SDH node in the high-rise building we were in with redundant fibre paths etc etc. In came the Optus subbie and installed VoDSL modems and the connection was then to be copper over the street cables back to God knows where. The PABX tech cut the trunks onto Optus and Telstra pulled at the plug at the appropriate time. Luckily I had left the job when this happened because it was a Friday arvo and the VoDSL modems kept losing lock over the dodgy copper so they had no phones all weekend. 2 networked hub stations and no phones all weekend!

4 Likes

I don’t think I have ever heard the Adelaide commercial FM’s mention their Adelaide Foothills frequencies. I doubt many actually listen to those and not sure how needed they actually are.

8 Likes

A blast from the past for the ex-LocalWorks stations.

4 Likes

I can remember 96.9 Sun FM which became Star and a few other variants from the Goulburn Valley use to promote their other frequency 93.7 on Mt Buller. They would run live broadcasts from there in the ski season. To this day Hit and Triple M Goulburn Valley have seperate frequencies at Mt Buller with a studio in Mansfield i think. But it is never mentioned on air which seems a waste

5 Likes

I’m pretty certain, when Nova 919 first launched, they also mentioned 99.1 in the foothills, but those were very short lived. I know the SCA/ARN stations in Canberra used to mention their “in the valley” frequencies, referring to the Tuggeranong valley.

4 Likes