Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Not wrong there mate

2 Likes

I can only speak for Triple M Hobart, but it does seem very ‘listenable’ at the moment.

I am smack bang in the middle Triple M’s core demographic, 42, Male and a tradie…

At the moment its a bit of an odd mix of Rock and Greatest Hits, maybe its a bit bespoke for Hobart, but seems quite listenable.

Hobarts running ‘Triple M Good Times and Greatest Hits’ ID’s too.

4 Likes

I haven’t noticed too much of a change in recent weeks.

It’s been “Good times and greatest hits” for most of 2022. Still skews towards rock but certainly more “poppy” than the metro stations.

4 Likes

Definitely better than the Feels Good incarnation, but still too much Harry Styles (yes, really) for my liking.

5 Likes

Could formats possibly returning to pre-covid days? B105 is sounding much better lately on the odd occasion that I tune in.

2 Likes

I am notorious for flicking stations the moment I hear a song I don’t like during my personal time, but I have been sitting this evening listening to the Saturday Night party mix on Hit Emerald via the Optus D3 Sat for the last hour or so and have only reached for the remote to turn the volume down for the commercials and back up when the music returns.
As for during the workday the mix on Hit Toowoomba/ South QLD ain’t to bad I guess, but very repetitive during the day and the same songs day in and day out…
I also find the RnB Friday’s needs a refresh so it ain’t the same shit every week.

As for Triple M, I can’t listen to 4GR AM Toowoomba as whatever has been touched in the past 6 months the audio is very thin and harsh and lacks audio bandwidth so in turn hurts my ears to listen to so don’t really know what the format is like.

7 Likes

Same here re changing stations when a song comes on and trying to listen to music on AM.

A couple of questions

1. What made you listen to Hit via satellite rather than FM?
  2. Is the sound quality on sat as good as FM?
  3. What exactly is “Hit South QLD”…. Is this just the 4RGD relays in Warwick, Stanthorpe and Dalby? As I heard a “South QLD’s Hit” ID on 97.9 Stanthorpe when I was last up there but I think Toowoomba gets it’s own “Toowoomba’s Hit 100.7” ID instead? I think otherwise all are the same ads, music and announcers? I noticed there is no “Hit South QLD” stream on Radio App or LiSTNR. Not sure what Kingaroy has though.
3 Likes

Cause I have the equipment to do so and happened to be playing around with all my Sat Stuff when I decided to relax and listen to some music.

Not quite as it appears to be a backup feed of some sort I was listening to and was only a Mono AAC feed

Yes local commercials for toowoomba, and local Toowoomba ID, but voice breaks and Facebook are IDed as “Hit South QLD”
Guess instead of doing seperate voice breaks for Toowoomba, Kingaroy, Dalby etc they just do the one break for the whole area I am assuming

4 Likes

This pan regional approach is a big shame. Nothing local for Toowoomba nor the other Toowoomba/Warwick RA1 translators.

When Macquarie Bank merged DMG regional and RG Capital, retaining RG Capital staff as management (who in turn let Kyle and Jackie go it must not be forgotten), they unwound the Townsville hub moving Roma to be an outpost of then 4GR/CFM Margaret St Toowoomba, some 4hrs drive away.

RG had form on this as they bought the Kingaroy duopoly from APN and completely destroyed the entirely local 89.1 Power FM. Entire CFM programming subbed with local ads etc.

Warwick ads on 91.9 differ from 100.7 whenever travelling and can receive both. Likewise, Warwick ads seem same to Stanthorpe translator.

2 Likes

I didn’t notice any difference in ads, but that’s not to say there isn’t any.

The only differences I saw/heard were

Toowoomba: RDS Hit100.7 with ID of “Toowoomba’s Hit 100.7”
Warwick and Dalby: Both with RDS of just Hit with ID of “South Queensland’s Hit”
Stanthorpe: RDS Hit97.9 with same ID as Warwick/Dalby.

Kingaroy had Hit89.1 RDS and “Hit 89.1” ID.

1 Like

Zetta for Hit feeds warwick stanthorpe and dalby, then a separate ads feed to tbar, with zetta its just setup with multipul stations on the one computer

3 Likes

His last day on air will be on Friday 23rd December.

4 Likes

Looks like a simple case of swapsie.

Gabi has gone to Mix106.3 Drive and Bronte has gone to Hit QLD Breakfast.

I wonder if there’s more to this story?

3 Likes

Have to say I am not disappointed, I couldn’t stand her when she was here in Toowoomba on Hit, not only did she annoy me on air but was very demanding off air around the station when they were in the building at 4AK
Then she ended up doing a statewide breakfast show :roll_eyes:

Either all the best with what she gets up to next

5 Likes

See @gordo92, act like a diva and be rewarded. That’s the culture that needs a clear out from that company.

Would be far more successful without it.

4 Likes

Quick listen to 92.5 MMM Flock of Eighties weekend.

You listened to us on AM and then FM on the Gold Coast when you heard these …

In the 80’s we were 4 double G - followed by GG jingle.

The Coast’s Good Times and Greatest Hits

9 Likes

Makes you wonder why they’re still not Double G or at the very least Gold 92.5. Why do these bland Triple M brands try to talk up the heritage after destroying it?

10 Likes

Everything about the station has been great this weekend until the sweepers say Triple M. Gold FM was the perfect name for a Gold Coast station but now we have Hot Tomato Gold.

Anyway - just played Flock of Seagulls.

7 Likes

It’s a really interesting conundrum for SCA, I think most in this forum agree the extension of MMM to the regions has not only diluted strong regional brands but potentially also damaged the capital city brands they were trying to mimic.

But, is it worth returning to the old station names…Gold/Double G, 4TO, 2GO for example, or are they now dead?

Would you run ‘2GO, part of the Triple M network’ prior to the news to kinda keep the link…

And what would you do with a station like Triple M Hobart, a station that, in it’s short history has had a few incarnations…none of which muster up a huge amount of nostalgia apart from a few faded stickers on old cars running around Hobart…Magic and Heart had potential but didn’t hit the mark in the market…

Would you do a switch with Hit…to allow the return of TTT Fm…Hobarts Hit 1oh7 Three sounds OK to me and 100.9 Triple T, Good times and Greatest Hits…Well yes please.

Some Hobartians still call 100.9, Triple T…and that’s been gone for awhile…

My point is, is the time, effort and money of rebranding back, worth it if the brands are now kaput anyway…

Discuss…

7 Likes

Agree, I think a return to local brands on the Triple M network is worth doing, and they could do this without losing the network lineage entirely as you said by saying “XXXX, part of the Triple M network” so when the Triple M football coverage is on, it doesn’t feel totally out of place on the locally branded stations.

As for Hobart, leave Hit 100 point 9 as is, but 107.3 could be relaunched as “107 point 3 - Triple T - Good Times and Greatest Hits” (part of the Triple M network).

4 Likes