Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Not sure that would work…100.9 and TTT go together…

Not sure the locals would accept a TTT @ 107.3

3 Likes

Agree with @Radiohead a combination brand. “4TO, part of the Triple M network”. It’s what they should have done in the first place rather than re-brand.

It might be too late to bring some back, but the likes of 4TO-FM, 4GR, 2GO, Gold 92.5, KO-FM are no-brainers IMO. Stations like 103.5 Maryborough and 93.1 Bundaberg can probably stay Triple M as there is no real heritage callsign for either (Mix and Sea respectively).

Not sure about Hobart, probably ok to leave 107.3 as Triple M. It is a capital city after all.

4 Likes

I’d bring back the local brands entirely however all would have the same logo. Triple M would remain as a capital city brand. Who ever decided on that branding was completely clueless and hopefully no longer works for SCA.

4 Likes

4MB-FM for 103.5 Maryborough?

Going back to Sea for Bundy would still work I think?

I don’t think a rebrand for the HIT stations would have the same impact however, they have never really been the “local” stations to the same extent.

2 Likes

Yes, adding part of the Triple M Network prior to the news would work, ACE do similar with their stations I believe

4 Likes

Didn’t they already do exactly that prior to the full rebrand?

3 Likes

Yes, all regionals had that “part of network” hourly mention prior to the rebrand.

The only stations it made sense to rebrand were the Hit regionals (StarFM, HotFM, etc). But they could’ve easily left the Triple M network alone.

5 Likes

I grew up with Sea FM, and Sea FM still exists in the Gold Coast, I would bring it back for the Central Coast and Hobart.

4 Likes

Definitely for the Central Coast as their call sign is actually 2CFM, so makes sense, just like WS FM’s call sign is 2UUS.

2 Likes

I think they can have those nods without a rebrand. Triple M Melbourne go through phases of mentioning their Eon days, which they can do without needing to fully rebrand anything.

Like the Hit network I think there’s markets where their heratige brand is so strong they should move back to a co brand, but for the most part just growing some nods and using the local branding as a promo for some throwback songs is enough.

1 Like

Yes Sea FM still exists on the GC (and the original of course) but it’s part of Hit not Triple M. Might be confusing.

3 Likes

They wouldn’t do 4MB-FM. It’s a bit complicated but to a local 4MB is too “Maryborough” whereas these days the major city in the market is Hervey Bay, which is now 3 times bigger. Hervey Bay dominates the region.

Sea FM would be ok for Bundaberg except Sea FM on the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast are hit music. Might be confusing.

4 Likes

I remember them using this announcement just before rebranding to Triple M later on that year (2018)

6 Likes

Totally agree about a rebrand to Sea fm for the Central Coast, but it would make it difficult running the NSW regional Breakfast show, out of Gosford. Hit Breakfast on Hit, and 101.3 Sea fm.

Maybe instead run the Hit Regional Breakfast show out of Albury for NSW and VIC, and allow Sea fm to focus on being live and local to compete with star 104.5.

Funny since Hit 101.3 Breakfast show became the Hit Regional Breakfast Star 104.5 has been #1. Star 104.5 is the new local Central Coast Station. Hit 101.3 has just become a generic network hub station. If I was SCA I would rebrand to Sea fm, and return the breakfast show to the local Central Coast show. If nothing changes Star 104.5 could be the #1 station for quite some time.

6 Likes

Hit Central Coast needs to be local and needs to be a hybrid. It can’t be the same as 2Day, but can’t be the same as Hit Newcastle.

5 Likes

Easily solved, give it the Fox / B105 music log.
Hit 101.3 and Hit 106.9 sharing the same music log is almost as crazy as Power fm and Wave fm sharing the same log.

IMO music stations seem all too focused on the content their talent produces, with music a distant second, this is why fm radio has gone down hill so much. For me music is #1 I care less about the content in between the songs.

If there was a greater focus on the music, the Central Coast and Newcastle would be on different logs, and ARN would not have the one playlist that fits all their Hot AC stations approach too.

6 Likes

Triple M Newcastle and Central Coast run the same log too, even it’s RDS is the same (both just ‘Triple M’).

I once rang the Central Coast station and said to them that the lack of differentiation in their RDS makes it difficult to tell which station I am listening to… the reception didn’t seem very interested (or maybe didn’t understand where I was coming from)… as she said ‘Just pick one’…

To be honest, they just don’t really seem to care sometimes, and it shows in their ratings.

4 Likes

I don’t think the Central Coast advertiser on Triple M CC would be too happy if she was directing you in anyway to Triple M Newcastle.

With Triple M there are enough different logs to separate Triple M CC and Newcastle.
Newcastle could take Triple M / BNE / ADL log, as it is more of a rock city. Triple M CC can stay on their more AC log to compete with Star 104.5.
This just show SCA don’t have a clue about the programming of music across their networks, it shows in their ratings.

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree more! There is not nearly enough focus on the music content. It’s just so lazy. Music playlists are in general quite terrible compared to similar stations in North America and UK. Hot AC and AC stations in particular in the US have really well-crafted playlists. You can just tell they put more effort into it than operators here in general (except the likes of Rebel and Breeze).

6 Likes

The biggest offenders here are Nova, Ent, SCA and Grant Broadcasters, maybe ARN will correct this when they take greater control of their new regional network.

ARN are better with their music programming with Capital Radio and Rebel Media the best IMO.

The UK CHR stations are light years ahead of their Australian equivalents.

4 Likes