Gold Coast - Survey 3, 2022

I am sure SCA will keep their heads buried in the sand, and dismiss the results. Wait for the spin to begin.

4 Likes

According to past statements (was it around the Dubbo result?) they just copy and paste from what SCA supplies, so no doubt they will also parrot any spin applied from SCA.

2 Likes

And Nova’s 3.7 beats its previous best of 3.6 in S3/2019.

2 Likes

Great to see you @HUFF, what stats can you provide us on the low overall share of 92.5 MMM, formerly Gold FM?

2 Likes

My data matches @TV-Expert 's… this is the lowest ever for 92.5 - their first time in single digits for that matter.

4 Likes

I also heard some references to “Gold” during their Flock of Eighties weekends.

5 Likes

Very sad for them. Thanks @HUFF and @TV-Expert

Wonder how 92.5 fared as GGG against SEA when began then as KROQ?

All better than today?

3 Likes

Yes.

In S2/1991, KROQ scored an 18.1% share, whilst Sea FM scored 23.3%.

5 Likes

Maybe a rebrand back to Gold Fm in 2023?

2 Likes

When the station drops like that, it’s what is needed to be done.

I’d rebrand back to KOFM, Gold, 4TO and 2GO.

They’re the most competitive markets who really could do with it right now.

I’m surprised they went back to local branding for Hit rather than for Triple M. Especially when the Triple M brand comes with baggage/history from Sydney & Melbourne radio.

4 Likes

Triple M in Newcastle are topping the ratings (granted, New FM is a fairly weak competitor), whilst its Townsville station is a strong #2, so I don’t think SCA would be in any rush to rebrand those stations back to its respective heritage brands.

I do agree with you about rebranding their Gold Coast & Central Coast stations back to their respective heritage brands though.

3 Likes

4TO has a lot of history and was a power house before it went to Triple M. Personally I would rebrand Triple M back to 4TO and have a local playlist. I still know a lot in Townsville still refer it as 4TO

3 Likes

Geez, is anyone listening to 92.5 anymore? SCA saw the sense in doing a mea culpa with Sea FM, surely time to do the same with Gold FM? Might need some work with the insipid music log when they do it though.

And I know we say it every time with the Gold Coast, but gee I’d love to see the raw breakdown of results with the non-published stations listed as well. It honestly would not surprise me if 94.1 was nipping at the heals of 92.5, although their audience would of course skew much older.

4 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if both 94.1 and Breeze are nipping at the heals of 92.5. Breeze has a pretty good profile on the coast.

Honestly SCA are lucky that ARN hasn’t done something (yet) with Hot Tomato’s awful playlist or the gap would be much wider.

4 Likes

Triple M is winning by default in Newcastle as it has no competition really.

4TO would be doing way better than Triple M Townsville is now. No doubt about it.

4 Likes

Agree @Brianc68. The rock format of Power 100 would also account for some of the lost 4TO/MMM share.

4 Likes

Yep. Triple M Newcastle could be called almost anything and they’d still flog the competition there.

5 Likes

And 4GR in Toowoomba, still a lot of pissed off people here in Toowoomba.
SCA have no idea, less networking and more local content is the key, it’s what made radio work in the past, but the been counters at SCA seem to have their heads up their arses about it all.

5 Likes

It’s more than just a name. The content and playlist needs to be tailored to each city as well.

A new name with the same boring safe playlist and networked shows isn’t going to rate any better.

4 Likes

A well deserved result for Hot Tomato.

The true strength of all local GC/Tweed based commercial radio stations can not be found in public GFK/CRA GC survey releases. The OTHER share is huge - now up over a third of the market, listening to stations that are not individually listed.

Who are 34%+ of the market listening to?

The survey includes the ABC, most Brisbane AM/FM commercials, Sea 90.9, MMM 92.5 & Hot Tomato.

But they don’t publicly publish the other three Gold/Tweed coast based commercial FM stations. Rebel 99.4, Radio 97/104.1 and Breeze 100.6 all have licence area overlaps with the GC (Brisbane doesn’t), all three operate commercial FM transmitters based within the GC licence & survey area, provide local GC/Tweed created programming, and all three provide wider FM signal coverage on the GC than the published Brisbane commercial FM’s.

Rebel 99.4 and Breeze 100.6 have previously been barred from participating, either as fully paid participants, or via complimentary listings that most Brisbane commercial stations receive.

Isn’t it in the commercial industry’s broader interest to transparently encourage publishing all overlapping commercial stations heard in the GC market, not just publish select Brisbane stations?

Until this changes, the market is left asking the biggest unanswered question of the survey;

Who exactly is a whopping 34%+ of the market listening to that are not published?

7 Likes