Southern Cross Austereo (Company)

Which departments? Regional or metro?

1 Like

A broom is going through the lot.

1 Like

According to Radio Today:

2 Likes

Radio Today should be on Mediawatch for ā€˜world exclusiveā€™ embellishment.

Itā€™s no scoop, staff got the email; in such a large employer, thatā€™s public knowledge as the email propagates over the internet.

3 Likes

ie: someone leaked us the email before Radioinfo got to it. Same for the Matt Tilley story yesterday

1 Like

Perhaps, but they seemed to be updated around the same time, certainly not enough gap for radioinfo to react and write their own.

2 Likes

Quite a sobering outlook for SCA, according to the article linked below.

Insiders suggest it isnā€™t the first round to hit the radio business, nor will it be the last.

3 Likes

So who has been made redundant so far? Off and on air?

They most likely are looking for a job now, very few old enough to retire.

1 Like
3 Likes

Irene Hulme and Lee Bevington have also been made redundant.

4 Likes

From Radioinfo:

Southern Cross Media Group Limited (ASX: SXL) has successfully negotiated the refinancing of its syndicated debt facility for a further three years.

Read more here.

2 Likes

Thoughts @RFBurns? The house of cards continues?

1 Like

If people saw how hard the drought is affecting advertising through rural NSW in particular, they wouldnā€™t be surprised with what SCA and others are doing.

Businesses across the board are closing shop and thereā€™s absolutely no money being made in places like Dubbo.

This is why Catalano, Gordon et al are trying to talk to the government and make them see that regional is bleeding and thereā€™s absolutely no money to be made anywhere. And this doesnā€™t just affect farmers, it affects other business people right through to companies that rely on advertising, such as SCA, WIN, Prime7.

5 Likes

Very true, the stagnant economy as whole isnā€™t helping, the mining boom long gone.

2 Likes

Annaliese van Riet has been appointed as its Chief People & Culture Officer, effective from 20 January 2020.

Source: Radioinfo

2 Likes

There was a comment on drought markets doing it tough.

SCA has a near national footprint of diversity of markets to help cushion the company from cutbacks. They choose to operate differently.

1 Like

and you donā€™t think the drought and the financial downturn is affecting regional and capital cities as well? Do you live in a bubble?

I can tell you the 15 from Nova Ent this week was more like 30 (they sacked others in recent months) and ARN has cut a good number of people too.

This downturn is affecting everyone. Iā€™m a sales rep. I used to be knocking over 150% budget every month in my field, now itā€™s down to 55-65% on a good month. The country is struggling.

8 Likes

People voted at the last election knowing the economy was struggling and didnā€™t change course. This is what happens. I canā€™t see the current lot being much help.

3 Likes

A lot of ACMs papers are becoming increasingly syndicated content and ads - perhaps trying to lift the amount and quality of local content might help to improve things - the quality of regional media is getting worse on an almost daily basis, thats not going unnoticed by local advertisers

5 Likes

Just as an addition to my earlier post - Iā€™ve worked in agency sales for 12 years before leaving earlier this year and moving into digital sales. Iā€™m told subsequent to leaving that east coast NSW stations have lost Domayne advertising as Harvey Norman is rebranding them back to Harvey Norman - that is a multi-million dollar loss to TV, radio and external marketing just in that area. This might go some way in explaining why SCA is looking to contract its announcing in some areas such as Griffith and Wagga, plus Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie.

Expect more cuts in the new year across all media companies.

3 Likes