Southern Cross Austereo (Company)

Thats big given they are a big advertiser across multiple formats - filling that gap will be tough

2 Likes

What is Coffs and Port Mac networking together?

1 Like

Given that Whitey, the Coffs afternoon jock was made redundant, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if the Port Mac based afternoon show is networked into Coffs. Thatā€™s my take on it, I could be wrong.

4 Likes

afternoons Iā€™ve been told, coming out of Port Mac

2 Likes

I wonder how that will work where there is a Harvey Norman and Domayne close by to each other, like at Auburn and Castle Hill in Sydney and Fyshwick in Canberra, and co-located stores like at Penrith and Alexandria in Sydney. Anyway, maybe Harvey Norman will just advertise a bit more under that name?

2 Likes

Not sure itā€™s such a smart move. People always like to shop around and those stores often had different products stocked. You reduce the options and you risk people going to a competitor.

2 Likes

The Coffs Coast local news on Hit and MMM has been done out of Port Macquarie for years so I guess networking between the two places isnā€™t a new idea.

4 Likes

Of course it is and the downturn is far greater than confined to radio or the media. Radio has got off lightly compared to some sectors.

What should be remembered is that thereā€™s still many profitable regional markets and metro stations. They can be used to balance out the drought affected and expectations shouldā€™ve been lowered years ago as the drought set in.

Yes, well aware NE and ARN have turfed many staff, I never mentioned it in isolation, itā€™s a cyclical business.

Well done and even better you still have a job. If program staff were at 55 - 65% of target share, they wouldā€™ve been out the door long ago. Saleā€™s a charm ainā€™t it? :wink:

Agree. Invest in good newspaper content rather than cut. Regional media also suffers with anaemic coverage of local matters from TV too.

Out of the control of media operators, Gerry will still be radioā€™s greatest friend.

Interesting to see what they do with the duplication of sites, often sited side by side in big box precincts.

@littlegezzybear hit the nail on the head. Gerry must be looking towards consolidation and the franchisees like it or lump it.

3 Likes

What a shame for him.

Would have to wonder why SCA retain a content director at Coffs, Moffee gone couldā€™ve saved them more money and another shift networked too.

Same with the huge overlap of signals from Coffs and Port. Different programming to keep audience within their stations is the way to go.

Of course, the competing options are more a lack thereof.

More short cuts. Every market needs a local journo working within the market to get the local news. Like the rest of radio, phoning it in is phoney.

1 Like

Breakfast CDs at Coffs and Port (Strawny) and do lots of mentoring of talent on both networks. I doubt theyā€™ll ever be dumb enough to network a breakfast, although it is SCA we are talking about so who knows.

Iā€™ve been told Peter Yiamelelos is one of those out the door at Gosford and Jase Allen from Newcastle, who is CD and NNSW Group CD, is looking after Gosford as well.

8am reveal for 107.7 breakfast tomorrow.

Good chat crankymedia. Hope youā€™re well, I enjoy your contributions. Iā€™ve read them for over a year or so now.

4 Likes

I would imagine that networking breakfast between Coffs and Port wouldnā€™t be allowed. Likely breach of licence conditions concerning local content.

2 Likes

Does Ace network their breakfast programs?

1 Like

Yes, they do, with its AM stations (exc 2AY) airing The Morning Rush across the network, whilst its FM stations have local breakfast programs.

2 Likes

Unless they find another shift in which to be local to each.
2HC and 2PM take 2SM breakfast but have local 12-3pm arvos to meet the requirements.

But yeah, with Bolts Hadley on mornings and arvos from Port then Kennedy/Molloy and ā€œRock Song Dedicationsā€ at nights, it doesnā€™t leave much else!

2 Likes

I suspect regional media may be too far gone in many markets to turn around - the cycle of low engagement leading to job cuts leading to lower quality (and back to the beginning) has to be reaching the lowest ebb soon

Cutting local content back to barebones might save the services, but itā€™s going to drive people (and dollars) away. I suspect that if the laws arenā€™t changed soon weā€™ll see another round of content cuts - almost to the point of meeting the minimum requirements as set out in the licence and no more

Iā€™m hearing anecdotally that a growing number of businesses arenā€™t interested in regional media advertising any more, it doesnā€™t have the reach and is not cost effective. Having a decent social media presence is delivering more success.

5 Likes

This is spot on, hence the massive Boomtown sales promotion that regional companies did a few months ago.

1 Like

Dave Cameron is the new Chief Content Director.

1 Like

Random. Hereā€™s hoping Dave can fix and restore 2Day.

2 Likes

More short cuts. Every market needs a local journo working within the market to get the local news. Like the rest of radio, phoning it in is phoney.

That is a big luxury which is fast becoming a thing of the past. For WA, there are only two journos covering the state based out of Perth.

3 Likes
1 Like