Southern Cross Austereo (Company)

This is for the discussion of matters relating to SCA as a company

To kick off - it looks like any swap with WIN is off:

5 Likes

Great to see a thread for pure business discussion.

SCA obviously unhappy with terms if they withdrew from discussions.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be shocking for WIN to ask for too much.

2 Likes

Or Ten, given that they had to approve any change to the affiliate agreement.
My money’s on WIN not offering SCA enough money.

2 Likes

Exactly, as TVHead wrote, no surprise for WIN.

1 Like

I have to say that I’m not overly disappointed to hear that the asset swap with WIN is off the cards (at least for now).

i98FM remains a very local sounding station rather than becoming “Hit 98.1” or similar, while SCA Ten Northern NSW continues to use the stronger metro branding rather than the cheaper WIN Television brand.

1 Like

SCA lifts half-year profit due to affiliate switch to Nine

Southern Cross Austereo has lifted its first-half profit 11.8 per cent to $48.5 million after a big rise in regional revenue thanks to its affiliate switch to Nine.
Revenue for the six months to December 31 rose 9.2 per cent thanks to advertising growth across all asset classes, with regional revenue surging 15 per cent to $216.7 million.
Regional TV advertising revenues leapt 28.7 per cent.

After its profit increase, SCA is ready to buy.

[quote]Southern Cross Media boss Grant Blackley is on the hunt for acquisitions after the radio and regional television broadcaster defied the gloom infecting advertising markets by posting a 11.8 per cent increase in first-half profit to $48.5 million.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/southern-cross-ready-for-acquisitions-after-ad-revenue-rises/news-story/0a15fef59fecd4369ce07f9a0eea931d[/quote]

Could the Ten NNSW and i98 deal appear again if SCA is eager to buy?

Mere puffery. Lots more debt to pay down.

Hopefully someone might know the answer to this - Now (well as of a few weeks) that SCA dont own Ten NNSW are there any markets where SCA does not have a tv/radio presence outside of towns in North West NSW (Tamworth/Armidale etc)?

In Northern NSW you could add Taree, Grafton and Lismore to the list of markets where SCA has neither a TV or radio presence post-WIN takeover.

2 Likes

There is also anywhere in WA north of Perth (ie. Geraldton, Port Hedland, Broome etc.) where SCA neither have a TV or radio presence. Renmark & parts of South East SA (ie. anywhere outside of Mt Gambier radio licence area) is another market where SCA doesn’t have any media presence.

2 Likes

Alice Spings, Cloncurry, Longreach?

Much of the Murwillumbah LAP would also not be covered.

1 Like

SCA has a TV presence in those markets.

As TV-Expert pointed out, Renmark (well, the Riverland in general) in SA has no SCA presence*

Television licences are all allocated to WIN, broadcasting WIN Seven (Seven, 7TWO, 7MATE), WIN Nine (Nine, GEM, GO!) and WIN (full suite of WIN channels)

Commercial radio as far as I know is exclusively Grant Broadcasters with Magic931 on FM, 5RM and KIX Country both on AM

*SCA does have a presence if you count Grant Broadcasters carrying Hamish and Andy on Magic931. But they were also carrying Fitzy and Wippa from Nova at one point as well, not sure if thats still the case!

1 Like

Simple, every market north and west of Newcastle and south of the Qld border except for Coffs and Kempsey.

1 Like

From 1st July, SCA will become the sales representative for Bathurst Broadcasters, which operates 2BS & B-Rock.

More: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/sca-represent-bathurst-broadcasters

SCA has appointed Dave Cameron as its new General Manager Melbourne, effective July 1. He will be responsible for running SCA’s day-to-day Melbourne operations but will continue to head up the company’s national talent development unit and digital radio strategy. He is known as “Grumpy Dave” on the Hamish and Andy Show.

So who was the Melbourne GM before Dave???

The Melbourne GM is a newly created position.