Southern Cross Austereo (Company)

Perhaps WIN could buy them just to get the Nine affiliation back and dispose of it’s 10 Network licences?

Though I daresay it’s more likely Nine would buy them.

1 Like

why would he? Radio is their primary business

1 Like

I wouldn’t put it past them to sell radio and keep TV if that’s what they thought was more profitable.

1 Like

Given the high fees they pay for Nine’s content and also considering that TV is a much smaller share of SCA’s total revenue I’d imagine that if they were to sell something it would be their TV assets which disappear first.

2 Likes

Radio is much more profitable.

3 Likes

Exactly … my point was about the television.

1 Like

Even with their former #1 FM Sydney asset out of the game.

SCA and the former management under Tony Bell in SCB have never understood how to sell regional TV to its full potential.

It’s therefore mindboggling that Nine would devolve NBN sales and contract SCA to do it for them, yet they have. The only thing going for them in NNSW is that they have an established product unlike their recent Nine affiliations elsewhere.

SCA signalling they want to offload TV stations they still don’t get it, they want to keep their board yet hold onto radio and middling online projects. It also signals that they want quick cash.

3 Likes

Maybe they’re desperate for quick cash, I don’t know.

I was told by someone that NBN’s revenue increased significantly when SCA took over sales and that Nine have been grateful for it.

Another person I know (who worked for Nine) said their strategy going forward is to be hyper-focused on metro areas as evidenced by selling off Fairfax’s regional newspapers and giving NBN sales to SCA.

That being said, I’m sure Nine will be looking closely at the Seven/Prime deal and if it looks to be a successful model for them in the years ahead maybe Nine will shift their gaze back towards regional.

3 Likes

The annual reports of NEC show no evidence matching the someone unfortunately.

Nine have already integrated their regional affiliation to provide news for the SCA affiliation along with SCA representing NBN for sales, it paces the way for a logical acquisition in the medium term.

1 Like

Yeah. In the annual report Nine stated there was no increase in the ‘free cash flow’ for NBN for the past two years, while there has been 1% increases for both years for the metro stations.

3 Likes

“When Dobbo left, we looked at the business structure which hadn’t been addressed in any capacity for probably 20 years.”

That review, over ten months in the making, signals a shift in the age-old pyramid structure that has ruled the broadcaster’s hierarchy for decades. Now, it seems, Blackley is ready to blow it up.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Does that mean the same concerts will air on both networks, possibly simultaneously?

If so, its going to turn a lot of listeners off when a Hit or Triple M artist is playing on the other,

3 Likes

From Radioinfo:

SCA has begun an experiment in Adelaide that puts its live local breakfast show on each of its DAB+ stations in that city.

As of this morning, Hit 107 breakfast hosts Bec and Cosi are now being heard on all of Adelaide’s Hit Network DAB+ stations, using playout technology to sync the talk breaks with the different playlists of each station.

The Hit DAB+ stations previously carried automated music.

The first morning apparently went off without a hitch.

Read more here.

4 Likes

is this what Absolute Radio launched a few years ago in the UK?

3 Likes

Yep - was pre-Zetta, and I suspect Zetta was designed with this in mind. Virgin Radio UK also use this with Chris Evans’ breakfast show

4 Likes

I should have read the link:

“We had some of the technology in place, because we had developed it for Absolute Radio, but SCA needed more because it had to sync with music directors and playout systems in different states. The decentralised workflows added an extra level of consideration when we enhanced the system.

3 Likes

That couldn’t work in a metro here & the digital audiences are tiny. Imagine K&J on KIIS & Smooth :joy:

1 Like

Adelaide is a metro market, albeit the smallest.

Smooth is owned by Nova, so no Kyle on that.

3 Likes

SCA redundancies include radio:

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/sca-begins-redundancies-tough-trading-conditions

@RFBurns’ earlier predictions are coming to fruition.

Never good timing for job losses, even worse before Christmas.

4 Likes