Songs lost to radio

2003 is best remembered as the year which Delta Goodrem dominated, with her debut album “Innocent Eyes” spawning five number one singles, including the song of the same name.

Guy Sebastian became our first Australian Idol, and IIRC he secured the year-end number one song with “Angels Brought Me Here”.

In America, Maroon 5 (formerly know as Kara’s Flowers) entered the conscience of Australian music fans with “Harder to Breathe”, while Justin Timberlake continued his solo career success with “Cry Me a River” and “Rock Your Body”.

4 Likes

2003 wasn’t a bad year for music…

Just looking through my playlist, my other highlights from that year not already mentioned include

JET - for the album ‘Get Born’, which included ‘Rollover DJ’ and ‘Look What You’ve Done’ as well as their big hit ‘Are You Gonna Be My Girl’.

The Offspring - for the album ‘Splinter’, which included ‘Hit That’ and one of my favourites of theirs ‘Spare Me The Details’.

Dido - for her album ‘Life For Rent’, which included the title track plus ‘White Flag’ and ‘Sand In My Shoes’.

And I couldn’t not mention, Australia’s one (well two) hit wonder from that year… Amiel… her best known song, ‘Lovesong’ plus this track which didn’t even get much airplay at the time, but I still think is a great song.

Both Amiel songs are VERY lost to radio indeed.

2 Likes

Still on the topic of 2003, Double J will be replaying the Hottest 100 of that year on Saturday 3rd February (a week after the most recent Hottest 100 takes place).

2 Likes

Can’t forget Powderfinger’s 2003 album “Vulture Street” either, which spawned “(Baby I’ve Got You) On My Mind” - another big hit that year.

4 Likes

You’re forgetting ‘Addicted To Bass’ which features Amiel on vocals. That’s probably her biggest hit, though it’s usually credited to Josh Abrahams/Puretone.

2 Likes

I didn’t forget… I didn’t know!

As you said, she’s not usually credited with that song

1 Like

Fair enough, I didn’t realise it for years!

2003 wasn’t all bad, though the better music was mostly off the charts. That’s the case from about the mid 90s onward and definitely from the year 2000.

I can identify the last good pop rock song on the charts: ‘The Morning After’ by Zinc, released in 2004. It sounded so out of place in amongst the other garbage.

2 Likes

Agree, or wasn’t on the charts for very long.

Elan’s “Midnight” and Milky’s “Just The Way You Are” were a couple of those for me, along with Katie Underwood’s “Danger”, which I’ve mentioned recently somewhere here.

2 Likes

I never want to hear these songs again, It’s not that they are bad its just they were so overplayed from 2003-2006 in particular.

1 Like

Power 94.9 had an odd penchant for playing this song! I enjoy it as well, thanks for the reminder. Slotted into the next Conga Line.

Elan is a Mexican artist, so it’s unusual that she had a hit out here.

2 Likes

Arena on Foxtel played this song relentlessly as their promo jingle, ruined the song for me even to this day

2 Likes

Here’s a tune rap not played often These kids by Joel Turner and the modern day prophets he was on Australian Idol in 2005.

3 Likes

It was 2003 that he was on the show (the first season). While impressive, his beat boxing skills didn’t fit the premise of the show - could’ve been better suited to Australia’s Got Talent or the X Factor.

1 Like

The first Australian rap/hip hop song to top the ARIA singles chart… something Hilltop Hoods or Iggy Azalea could never do.

1 Like

This song borrows/samples the base line from the 1988 hit, “The Streets of Your Town “ by The Go Betweens. One of the great bands that came out of Brisbane
I remember it getting flogged on radio around 2002-2003 ,not so much now though

3 Likes

I don’t mind, “Rollover DJ”,agree about the other two though

Just after 9:20pm tonight on Smallzy’s Surgery:

“Rule the World” by Take That.

Was regularly played on smoothfm prior to 2021.

Of course, it is not to be confused with the more famous Tears for Fears song “Everybody Wants to Rule the World”.

At the end, Smallzy joked that “yes, you’re listening to Nova, this is not smoothfm”.

4 Likes

Johnny Can’t Read - Don Henley

2 Likes

Good song

Now here’s a song that hasn’t been played on radio in Australia (either on normal or digital):

Peaked at #26 on the ARIA Charts in the second half of 2009. Agnes is best known for winning Swedish Idol in 2005 and was Down Under early last year for WorldPride.

4 Likes