Songs lost to radio

You’re right it was absolutely huge at the time… But personally I absolutely hated it with a passion from day 1. Instant station-changer for me.

2 Likes

Heaven Knows - Donna Summer on Magic 1278 Jukebox Saturday Night, you hardly hear Donna’s better known songs (eg. Love to Love You Baby, I Feel Love, Enough is Enough) from the Casablanca Records era much on the radio these days. Though sometimes you can hear “She Works Hard for the Money” on radio playlists.

And another thing, Ace Radio is now a new proud member of the “pre-roll ads on the live stream” club.

4 Likes

5 Likes

I listened to a bit of Falco (Vienna Calling - a song I had forgotten about) on Spotify this afternoon.

Which is an artist that has been lost to radio for a while (more so for his other more notable hits ‘Rock Me Amadeus’ and ‘Der Kommisar’).

It made me wonder if commercial radio stations generally try to avoid hits that are not predominantly in English.

Los Lobos’s La Bamba and Los Del Rio’s Macarena are about the only songs that are not predominantly English that I ever hear on the radio these days.

5 Likes

I think Australian stations prefer 99 Luftballons to the English “red balloons” version that you often hear on UK and US stations. 4KQ used to play Ca plane pour moi. 4BH probably does but I can’t recall. Feliz Navidad gets a run at Christmas. Does Abba’s Voulez-Vous count?

4 Likes

Las Ketchup The Ketchup Song

2 Likes

“A Hard Day’s Night” - The Beatles (1964).

I was really surprised when I heard it on 2ST this morning. The Beatles aren’t typically played too often on Australian radio, but on the rare occasion when they are played, it’s usually their later-era singles which receive airplay (like “Come Together” or “Here Comes The Sun”).

7 Likes

I remember this song! It was so popular towards the end of 2002.

4 Likes

“Caught in the Middle” - A1. Heard just before 9:00pm Sydney time this evening on the Nova Noughties digital station.

3 Likes

At 10:21AM this morning, MMM regionals in Qld would have heard Freedom being played. But this time it wasn’t George Michael’s 1990 hit (known in some circles as Freedom '90)…it was the Wham hit from 1984 which was high up in the Australian Top 10 from memory.

5 Likes

Starting a few weeks ago I started hearing Aztec Camera on British radio stations, specifically Somewhere In My Heart. Haven’t heard that song in Australia for many years. According to Wiki it made it to 34 in Australia.

6 Likes

Yes great song. Gets played a lot in the UK

4 Likes

There’s also “Oblivious” an early 1980s hit from Aztec Camera ,another great song ignored by radio programmers in Australia
It’s on Spotify

6 Likes

Both of these Aztec Camera songs have been played on my shows.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, now having watching Aztec Camera on YouTube, their algorithm is going to serve them up to me for the next six months :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

What ever happened to the “Numa Numa” song? Outside of viral YouTube videos (67 m plays) was it ever heard much or at all on the radio in Australia?

Music video

1 Like

Got to ask before last night on Dave Gleeson’s Nights show on MMM nationwide at about 7:30, when was the last time that George Harrison - While My Guitar Gently Weeps was played on the main MMM station rather than on Classic Rock Digital?

6 Likes

Following the very sad news overnight, i hope radio plays this one today

Very lost to radio

3 Likes

Tonight

• heard “Before the Worst” by The Script on Pulse FM (Hobart) at about 7:15pm - immediately after “Beautiful Day” by U2. While it charted well in Australia, peaking at #10 in October 2009, nowadays this song is a rarity on commercial radio.
  • heard “Something About You” by Jamelia (otherwise best known for her 2004 hit “Superstar”) on Chemist Warehouse radio just before 10:00pm. ARIA peak: #17 in March 2007
1 Like

Does Horny by Mousse T count? Heared it on SWR this morning.

1 Like