Songs lost to radio

FOXTEL Music plays good music.

I think you can still also stream it on the Stingray app in high fidelity at 320 kbps.

6 Likes

Funny that… CDs are now generally around $20-22 for new releases.
Ones that have been out for a while are often cheaper.

And LPs, which back in 1986 were $13 are now generally over $40.

2 Likes

Does anyone got some rare finds on MTV Classic?

2 Likes

Was surprised to her Amiel - Stupid Lovesong on Nova the other night. Great song. Of course, it was only played late night (after 10pm) when they play all the Australian music. :roll_eyes: But at least they played it and it was good hearing it after all this time.

5 Likes

At about 8:30 last night, MMM nationwide (given both Metro and Regions now take Dave Gleesons show) played Elvis Costello - Veronica. Not only was it the first time in a long time that I’ve heard it on radio (it is on my personal playlist), given my Great Grandmother (father’s side, mother to my late Grandma) was named Veronica and it’s been close to 20 years since her passing it does have some extra significance personally.

7 Likes

In 2002, Kylie Minogue released “Come Into My World”, the fourth and final single from her album “Fever”. Nova FM, in particular played an edit of a bootleg white label remix known as the “Parkside Mix” before switching to the single version weeks later. Nowadays, both versions are rarely heard on local radio.

7 Likes

“Come Into My World” is one of my favourite Kylie songs.
You’re right, it doesn’t get played much anymore anywhere.

4 Likes

That is one of Kylie’s best. It always reminds me of the UK as I was there on holidays about the time. Believe me it was on MAXIMUM rotation on so many stations there at the time, commercial and BBC. I could barely go an hour or two without hearing it.

5 Likes

At 6:07PM tonight, MMM Regionals in Qld heard I’m sure for the first time on a regional network for many years, Bachelor Girl - Buses and Trains. Almost certain this wouldn’t have been played here since Tania Doko (lead singer) left the disaster that was Popstars Live close to 20 years ago very early in the season.

4 Likes

A question on ‘Millionaire Hot Seat’ earlier this week reminded me of this one hit (well two hits actually) wonder from the 90s… Tori Amos.

The question was regarding ‘Professional Widow’ (who sang it), but it reminded me of her other hit - ‘Cornflake Girl’… a great song I haven’t heard in ages anywhere… I just love the piano solo towards the end.

Perhaps Nova, KIIS, Hit or even Triple J might play her occasionally, but as I don’t listen to those stations much, I wouldn’t have noticed it!

5 Likes

Cornflake Girl made the Hottest 100 in its time too, and very occasionally pops up in more your Double J type settings, but you’re right that it’s been largely forgotten. Was it mainstream popular at the time of its release, or more just in alternative circles? (I’m just that bit too young to remember that level of detail about 1994)

5 Likes

Was mainstream popular ( and I grew up in a country town), little bit of a novelty factor with the song title amd opening line, and was included on a 100% Hits compilation album.

4 Likes

cornflake girl gets played by triple m metro it was played a lot on the rage against the 90s show week nights

3 Likes

At approximately 9:20 AM EST (emphasis on the EST at this time of the year), MMM Regionals in Queensland would have heard what appeared to be either a live or unplugged version of Australian Crawl - Oh No Not You Again. Especially on regionals MMM generally only give Errol, The Boys Light Up or Reckless a run every now and again. I do say it sounded like a live or unplugged version as James Reyne wasn’t really joined by backing singers on the track so it may have been recorded from one of his many live solo shows post Aust.Crawl.

5 Likes

Some People - Cliff Richard

Coast Auckland 0946 NZDT

7 Likes

I have heard The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby and the Range twice this weekend on radio. It’s quite a well known song but it’s one that I hadn’t heard on radio for a long time.

4 Likes

Weirdly I heard an updated remix of this when I was overseas a few months ago, was kind of shocked to hear someone had done something with it

7 Likes

Heard today on Greatest Hits Radio as a listener request.

8 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Chocolate Starfish - Mountain was heard on Breeze 100.6/92.1 this evening. Another song from around 1993 that was huge at the time but rarely heard these days.

4 Likes