Songs lost to radio

Djapana was a far better song than Treaty IMO, you’re right though that it’s seldom heard nowadays despite being flogged in its day.

I hear some (not much) support for Truganini at times, I think River or maybe even 4MMM have played it once or twice in the last little while.

1 Like

Geez Egg Man, you must have been still in nappies when Djapana was released (and I thought it was notable that I had the cassingle at 6 yrs)! Do you remember the Electric Hippies? They were the guitarist and keyboardist from Noiseworks. “Greedy People”, a very catchy piece of pop rock, got a solid bit of airplay in winter 1994, then disappeared completely.

Haha, no Yothu Yindi were fairly notable all throughout the 90s, I certainly remember that song getting a good hammering back in my childhood

I do recall that Greedy People song, but I’m not sure if it’s from its time in the charts or previous mentions of it here. Not a bad little product for its time, definitely, and one of those weird rare ones you love when a radio station digs up and plays again

For some reason, you’ve reminded me of these little ditties (also from around the same era).

American Life In The Summertime - Francis Dunnery
Apple Eyes -Swoop

1 Like

Oh yes American Life in the Summertime was played a LOT for a while on Triple M in Brisbane at least.

Yeah, that Francis Dunnery song was big in 1994 as well. I remember discovering Power FM Nowra on my little Sanyo boombox and hearing this, as well as Collective Soul’s “Shine” and Lisa Loeb’s “Stay” among others.

A couple more:

Dig- MARK LIZOTTE aka DIESEL (big in spring 1999)
I Am- KILLING HEIDI (being played right now on SWR’s InPhase). Actually, most songs from Killing Heidi would be appropriate for this thread.
The Morning After- ZINC (brief airplay in 2004 on Nova)
Remote Controller (TV Screen)- NOOGIE (very obscure Central Coast band; heard on New FM quite regularly in 2003).

Wowee, those last few have me fairly stumped. Must have been bigger on Sydney radio?

Killing Heidi’s earlier stuff has made a bit of a resurgence, it’s now featuring on the ‘classic hits’ stations (which really starts to make me feel old). Only Weir and Mascara really get a run though. I Am was almost as good a track, but from memory was from a much less successful album of theirs a few years later, so faded into obscurity a bit quicker.

Speaking of making resurgences, I’ve been hearing a few Savage Garden tracks pop up again on radio. Mainly To The Moon And Back, but I’ve also heard Truly Madly Deeply and I Want You in recent weeks. Again, on the classic hits stations which again makes me realise I am a child no longer…

I had always thought Savage Garden songs had never really disappeared from the radio… ?

I think the stuff from their first album did, but yeah those later ones still kept going. But I think I went nearly 10 years without hearing To The Moon And Back, though I’ve probably heard it half a dozen times in the past couple of months

Another couple of great 90s songs that I am surprised don’t get more airplay

Nervous Kid - Maybe Dolls
Cruise Control - Headless Chickens

Both Aussie/NZ artists too.

2 Likes

Ahh, yes…

It’s a great song and so too is the video clip, but I also like Sounds Of Then/This Is Australia despite it’s rather heavy rotation.

1 Like

Funny you mention Nervous Kid; New FM was the only station that played it in the early 00s. I can’t remember it when it was a hit, and when it featured on E Street.

1991 I think it was released.

Yeah that’s sounds right. Mechie used to give it a run on his program too.

Angel- LO-TEL (also heard on InPhase today). “Teenager Of The Year” also qualifies for this thread, though I’ve heard it on B-Rock occasionally.

2 Likes

I remember Nervous Kid on the radio in Brisbane but not sure which station. Presume it was triple m or QFM

Both definitely qualify. Teenager of the Year in particular did very well at the time, I think it even made the JJJ Hottest 100? Was definitely a K-Rock staple back in its day and still gets a very occasional run

1 Like

Yes, it did. It reached #15 in the 2000 countdown.

Dancing In Heaven- Q-FEEL. I remember hearing it somewhere though; perhaps another FM104 lost classic?

Movin’ Up by Dreamworld was played on 2DAYFM (part of their 90s weekend) today. You might find it to be a bit vapid, but maaaaan that brings me back to when I was a toddler.

I distinctly remember at my first childcare place (I would have been two or three years old at the time), them playing this and trying to make us dance to it way back in 1996-1997.

3 Likes

I also hear that one on River 94.9 ,great song👍