Songs lost to radio

oh dude! Keep The Faith :stuck_out_tongue:

Schnell Fenster - Love Hate Relationship… received a little airplay on FM104… in 1989… then never again.

1 Like

One song that used to get flogged a lot in the last 10 years or so that I haven’t heard for a while

Faith - George Michael

Freaky but I heard Faith on DAB just yesterday morning, think it was on Easy, and thought to myself I hadn’t heard it in a long while.

2 Likes

Yes ~ It was on Easy… It was such an FM staple it become just like wallpaper in the 90s… still kinda grated on me yesterday… so I switched over to OMG…

in time to catch ‘Mexican Radio’… Wall of Voodoo…

I’m still waiting to hear ‘Far side of Crazy’… a song that reminds me so much of Shirl & Irvine, Hot Hit 3XY

2 Likes

Same here with “Far Side Of Crazy” but it is 2SM that the song reminds me of.

2 Likes

Yeah I was a kid at the time in NZ but used to listen to 2SM and 3XY at nights… and yes you’re right… I remember hearing it on 2SM… Julie Brodski was doing nights by that stage…

‘Far side of Crazy’ never made it to NZ radio…

Sadly i never got to hear much of 3XY here in Newcastle as it was adjacent to 2KO (1413) on the dial.

Two of the key differences I noticed from afar with 2SM and 3XY were:

• XY had adopted the ‘zoo’ format for breakfast so promoted it relentlessly across all sessions
  • XY still had ‘full service’ type programmes like ‘punter to punter’
1 Like

Ah, Far Side of Crazy reminds me so much of FM104.
Although it was also played a lot on Stereo 10.

Another one time overflogged song lost to radio in recent times just heard

Smooth - Rob Thomas & Santana

On… wait for it…

Smooth FM!

1 Like

I still hear that one sometimes on River 94.9

Hundreds Of Languages- GANGGAJANG. It enjoyed some brief radio airplay upon its release in 1994, then simply vanished into the ether. It’s a much better song than “Sounds Of Then”, imo.

2 Likes

Wow that’s a good one! Forgot it even existed. Haven’t heard it on the radio for a loooong time.

It’s appropriate this is being brought up on this site, because the video for the song featured several newsreaders of the time lip-syncing the song.

1 Like

I do remember when NAB used that song in its commercial, and when Toni toured Australia on the strength of its success was asked in an interview on Melbourne’s Today Tonight if she was offered a million dollars to put her songs in a bank ad would she do it? She replied “No, I wouldn’t!” And I also remember a review of her concerts saying “well she’s laughing all the way to the bank!”

the ad in question:

I remember that one (I think)

It enjoyed copious airtime during the 1996 Olympic Games iirc.

Djapana- YOTHU YINDI
Truganini- MIDNIGHT OIL
Greedy People- ELECTRIC HIPPIES

2 Likes