Songs lost to radio

I haven’t heard “Money” for a long time, but I do hear "Another Brick… " and “Learning To Fly” a bit.

1 Like

Just heard Barbados by the Models on 80s digital, donyhear that too often anymore, if anything it’s I Hear Motion and Out of Mind, Out of Sight.

4 Likes

Very popular on 91.3 ZMFM in 1987… also heard it for a few weeks in a row on the Rick Dees Weekly Top 40…

Not sure if it ever received any airplay in Australia… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4U8RCN1kfU

Quintessentially Q.

Erasure were very popular in New Zealand (we needed a fix after Yazz and when Moyet went solo)… I remember a very funny nightclub scene from the BBC comedy series ‘Watching’ featuring virtually the entirety of Oh l’amour.

I do also remember hearing it on SM, XY and Stereo 10.

3 Likes

The Temple Trap’s “Fader”. I know Hit 104.7 play a 15-second clip of if when off-air then cutting back to normal until it happens again, but it wasn’t as successful as “Sweet Disposition” (BTW both sound the same).

1 Like

I remember Fader getting a fair bit of airplay when new, haven’t heard it on radio in a while though.

2 Likes

I wont hold you back by Toto on HHH fm

1 Like

“Ant Music” by Adams and the Ants used to be a regular staple on 96.5 Wave FM and i98fm about 10-15 years ago, but it has been years since I have last heard it on FM radio. Shame really, because I think it’s quite a decent song. I would much prefer to listen to “Ant Music” instead of hearing AC/DC or Midnight Oil for the one millionth time. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

“Don’t tread on an ant, he’s done nothing to you…”

I’m pretty sure ‘Antmusic’ still gets a run on most stations that play 80s music. I would prefer to hear ‘Goody Two Shoes’ or ‘Stand and Deliver’ myself.

3 Likes

As a kid it was always a treat to stay up and watch Minder (I was 22 at the time… lol)…

Pat Courtney played a ‘ditty’ over the intro of ICBSGFY (he probably borrowed it from elsewhere but we were none the wiser in those days)…

Get out of bed now… Get out bed, don’t dream all your life away
Put a smile… on your dial… with 3ZB
Pat Courtney’s on your radio…

[cue] ‘If you want to, I’ll change the situation’

1 Like

Quintessential QFM.

4 Likes

Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.

I’m afraid I don’t get what you’re referring to here? (Much like I can’t understand your abject disdain for Australian music)?

It’s a line from Adam Ant’s ‘Prince Charming’…

Not a hit here?

“Prince Charming” hit #4 on the Australian charts. In the UK, it was one of the two #1 singles that they had, along with “Stand & Deliver”.

1 Like

Prince charming, prince charming
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of
Don’t you ever, don’t you ever
Stop being dandy, showing me you’re handsome

2 Likes

“We Are the World” USA for Africa (1985) on Bay 93.9 Geelong as part of the 20/20 Retro Countdown. Haven’t heard this on the radio for a while!

Ah yes- I’ve certainly heard “Prince Charming” but I’m afraid I’m not familiar enough with it to quote its lyrics. I wasn’t yet on this rock when Adam Ant had his hits so can’t say how much it was played on Australian radio. It should have been thrashed at the time if it got as high as #4.

As you have noted before- British hits tended to do better in NZ than in Aus, generally speaking.

Except that “Prince Charming” didn’t chart in NZ, as there was no record of it having charted in the Top 50 over there according to charts.nz (records go back to 1975).

1 Like