Songs lost to radio

Love is - Alannah Myles … right now on 4MMM.

Sadly one of those those songs which people discovered on TV at the time rather than on radio.

And i heard it on Easy last night :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember first hearing this on a Sunday night with Trevor Sinclair on Magic 11 with the Stimrol top 30 countdown. It was immediately infectious and I went out and bought the cassette album that week with my pocket money.

Not long after did it feature on the 3ZM top 40 with Ken ellis.

Great song and great sisters.

And they seriously flog the living daylights out of Black Velvet…

1 Like

Yeah they flog Black Velvet still.

I do recall Love Is on the radio a lot though, back in the day.

1 Like

When the Good Die Young by the Divinyls. This song use to have high rotation on 2SM “Rock of the 80’s” back in it’s time. Today was the first time I have heard it played since. Was on 88.0 Air Fm Penrith, received way out of its coverage area in Peakhurst Sydney. This is my favourite Divinyls songs and brings back great memories of the 80’s.

6 Likes

Yeah I think you’re probably right… I think I had gone off radio for a bit back then… (2SM sending a me an REO Speedwagon cassette was a critical moment)…

1 Like

Shining star by INXS, Higher ground Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Hey Pachuco! by Royal Crown Revue.

On a 90s show HHH FM. Dont here those often.

HHH (100.1) Hornsby in Sydney’s north has decade-based music programs from Mondays to Thursdays at 10-11pm.

They include:
Monday: Swinging in the 60s
Tuesday: Strutting in the 70s
Wednesday: All things 80s
Thursday: Nothing but the 90s

2 Likes

My retro countdown from this week in 1993 contains plenty of candidates for this thread. Aside from “Two Princes”, the Top 10 alone is basically persona non grata for commercial radio in 2017.

1 Like

‘Come Back’ by the J Geils Band.A Forgotten song from them,I Recently downloaded this song from Apple Music

1 Like

“Hold On” by Wilson Phillips has been making a bit of comeback in the last couple of months.

I had never heard it on the radio much since in it was a hit in 1990, but have now heard it quite a few times in the last 2 months or so.

1 Like

When Smokey Sings- ABC
Radio Waves (K.A.O.S)- ROGER WATERS
Lean On Me- CLUB NOUVEAU (it used to be thrashed, now not so much)
Love & Devotion- MICHAEL BOW
Rhymes- ROCK MELONS
When You Walk In The Room- PAUL CARRACK (very occasionally heard on 2XL)
Shakedown- BOB SEGER
Showin’ Out- MEL& KIM
Who’s That Girl- MADGE (a forgotten one from Madonna, yet attained a high position in the charts)
Suddenly- ANGRY ANDERSON (OK, this one should stay forgotten)

All hits exactly 30 years ago.

1 Like

1987 was a great year for music!
That’s a very good list you have posted there.

Here’s a few more favorites of mine from that year that are also lost to radio

Running In The Family - LEVEL 42
Big Time - PETER GABRIEL
Wanted Dead Or Alive - BON JOVI
Dominoes - ROBBIE NEVIL
Friday On My Mind - GARY MOORE
Shattered Dreams - JOHNNY HATES JAZZ
One And One (Ain’t I Good Enough) - WA WA NEE
Looking For A New Love - JODY WATLEY
At This Moment - BILLY VERA AND THE BEATERS
Let’s Go - WANG CHUNG

5 Likes

A few of those feature in the countdown too. Running In The Family, Dominoes, and Shattered Dreams are very good songs and deserve much more airplay than they get.

3 Likes

Good list. I hear Shattered Dreams quite a lot on Easy Hits digital.

4 Likes

Hold on is a great song from the 90’s which should get played more often on Australian radio.

2 Likes

I am out by a year - apart from Sinitta (and possibly Stacey Q), I could listen to most of the song’s on this chart from 1986…

5 Likes

Thanks for posting that chart.

For me, there’s only 2 songs on that list that would be an instant “station changer” for me:

Lady In Red - Chris De Burgh
Don’t Leave Me This Way - Communards

I quite liked Stacey Q actually - that song as well as ‘We Connect’ - both ‘lost to radio’ and not found again since 1986.

3 Likes

Can understand changing stations for both those songs. The “lost” song for me is What’s the colour of money by Hollywood Beyond.

2 Likes