Social Media

For $19.99 a month — or $24.99 on Apple’s iOS system and Android — users will be able to verify their accounts using a government ID and get a blue badge, as Meta looks to help content creators grow and build communities.

It also includes extra protection against impersonation and direct access to customer support.

The White House said on Monday it was giving US federal agencies 30 days to delete TikTok from all government-issued mobile devices.

On Tuesday, the House Foreign Affairs Committee was expected to move forward with a bill that would give President Joe Biden the authority to ban TikTok from all US devices.

That’s an estimated 130 million US users.

A ban would require passage by the full House and the Senate before the President can sign it into law.

1 Like

IMO a massive blunder for the dems not to have supported Trump’s initial proposal to ban it years ago.

1 Like

(Ironic to use a tweet to report it, but nevertheless Twitter is down)

4 Likes

Been breaking a lot since Elon bought it. I remember when some Nintendo event broke Twitter a few weeks ago. We were unable to Tweet without Scheduling them for a few hours.

I’ve just been to my Twitter account and it worked perfectly.

1 Like

Definitely more long-term outages, but reliability, particularly of the iOS app has improved recently. Used to constantly get random timeouts, whereas I haven’t had that happen in a few months at leat.

1 Like
1 Like

Interesting that they’re taking CCP style policies global.

This is more a good PR thing, making it seem like they care about their users. The limit can be changed by the user, or even just ignored.

1 Like

New emojis

1 Like

Legacy blue was supposed to have ended in March but…

1 Like
2 Likes

New label on Twitter for ABC

1 Like

It differs from BBC:

But is same as PBS and CBC

RT:

1 Like

ABC responds:

ABC News has received a new label on Twitter branding the broadcaster as “Government-funded Media”.

The label, according to Twitter, is meant to provide additional context for accounts heavily engaged in geopolitics and diplomacy.

“We’re liaising with Twitter regarding changes to account verification and labels,” an ABC spokesperson said.

Twitter’s new labels have often appeared arbitrarily assigned. Until this week the “government-funded” label had not appeared for Australian and Canadian public broadcasting organisations.

NPR quits Twitter after label

Last week US broadcaster NPR (National Public Radio) announced it was quitting Twitter after the social platform stamped its account with labels the news organisation says were intended to undermine its credibility.

In a statement, the radio broadcaster said it would “no longer be active on Twitter because the platform is taking actions that undermine our credibility by falsely implying that we are not editorially independent”.

The BBC said on Wednesday it would welcome being described as publicly funded instead of government-funded. Hours later, BBC got its publicly funded media label.