smoothfm

The ad’s are the worst. It’s why I’ve stopped listening for the most part. I enjoy the music but the constant and repetitive beyond annoying voiceovers and commercials is too much. It’s distracting.

2 Likes

The ad breaks are too frequent and too long. Some are 5 minutes long which is ridiculous. It’s bad for the advertisers and the listeners.

4 Likes

Smooth fm still calls their breakfast show the more music breakfast show which is totally wrong. Magic 1278 plays more music than smooth with 10 songs in a row every hour even doing breakfast

Smooth doing breakfast still does half hourly news updates which Magic stopped doing few months ago

Smooth should rename their breakfast show to the feel good breakfast show instead which would make more sense

6 Likes

The music has really gone downhill over the last couple of years. There used to be so many “wow” songs back in the early years but now it’s so bland it sounds like 90s Soft Pop. I rarely stay tuned for long.

5 Likes

These days, there’s more edgier and up-beat music on the station. Just recently, I heard The Weeknd’s “Blinding Lights” on the station (or at least it was played, according to lava.net.au).

1 Like

That’s not really the problem for me. The Breeze plays The Weeknd too. It’s more the 90s songs they’re playing are just so lame and “samey”. I’ve got no problem with them playing newer music but the older music they play needs to be a lot better. It’s too narrow these days, there used to be more variety and rarer songs.

3 Likes

Magic haven’t been rewarded for this, the market hasn’t found them, let alone sampled and discarded.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s why they call it ‘more’ music and not the ‘most’ music?

As Smooth probably still plays more songs than FOX, Triple M and Gold do with all the chatter they go on with.

5 Likes

Same ad plays in various markets with no mention of frequency (or DAB)

3 Likes

Wow. When did they announce this campaign and their new positioner, “Together in music”?

10 points for originality.

1 Like

I saw it (twice) tonight during Nine News, and thought it looked a bit of a strange ad, something a bit ‘alien’ about it (and no, I wasn’t trying to make a joke).

I think I preferred the Robbie Williams ones, maybe they could have just refreshed those ones with different songs and a different but well known singer to Smooth FM.

3 Likes

The challenge with smooth is it’s not their personalities which drive listeners… it’s their “more music” format.

So unlike other radio TVCs, these guys don’t have the leisure of featuring a familiar face/faces which viewers can instantly relate to.

1 Like

“More crap music” and too many ads, SmoothFM. Like everything connected to the Murdochs, it’s not very good.

Or, “As long as it’s profitable, who cares about the music format” approach.

2 Likes

I saw the TV ad last night. It’s awful! Together in music yet the man watering the lawn hates it? Doesn’t sound very together to me. Makes no sense. I also saw on Smooth FM’s Facebook page this video of two guys doing a Smooth rap. It looks to be part of a series of videos on their YouTube channel. Whoever is approving these things has lost the plot needs to go. They are so out of touch with what the brand stands for. We all know it and none of us work there. Demise of what was once a great brand I’d say.

3 Likes

Plus the song doesn’t really scream “easy listening” but rather Triple M in my opinion.

2 Likes

Seems to be an issue with the website. The link to the Brisbane stream page 404’s and the stream in the drop down doesn’t play

1 Like

For the past few years I’ve been listening. It’s not an easy listening station anymore. They’re a AC station. From what I hear now, they’re just like WS GOLD and SCA. All trying to win the 25-54 demo.

3 Likes

To be fair, that is the “sweet spot” for advertisers and the “money demo”.

1 Like

But Nova Entertainment has Nova for that Smooth needs to diffientuate.

1 Like