smoothfm

Highly doubt that they would let go of Smooth music format as it stands. Given the chance they need to get rid of the moronic scripted announcing style.

5 Likes

Agree, imagine if the announcers were allowed to be ā€œreal and liveā€

I listen to Smooth DAB (in Brisbane)and Iā€™ve noticed too that the announcers sound like theyā€™re reading a script,obviously voice tracked :confused:.
I donā€™t mind most of the songs they play unless itā€™s one Iā€™m sick of so then I change the station.

4 Likes

Iā€™m finding the music is becoming my main problem with Smooth. Itā€™s so 90s heavy and repetitive. The songs are largely of the over-flogged variety. Iā€™m finding Easy Hits a much better listen. Iā€™m also thinking of trying to stream Smooth UK in the car rather than the local variety.

3 Likes

Global player does that for me.

3 Likes

Even worse - there are some old school urban hits that they do play every now and then, such as ā€œSuperstarā€ by Jamelia.

Donā€™t mind the odd Phil Collins song, though.

2 Likes

Every commercial station regardless of metro or regional has this same problem. I have switched off all commercial radio for this reason.

4 Likes

The 1990s is 33 to 24 years ago = so 1990s music is what Gold 104ā€™s ā€œGood Times, Great Oldiesā€ format was when I was in high school (1993-98).

This fuss reminds me of the complaints in the press by older people that nursing homes are sometimes still piping Vera Lynn type stuff even though people in their 70s now were teenagers and 20 somethings in the 1960s and 70s!

5 Likes

ā€˜Lolaā€™s Themeā€™ by Shapeshifters currently playing on Smooth FM.

4 Likes

shouldnā€™t that belong on Nova instead?

2 Likes

Or even NovaNation?

Good to see ā€œYour easy place to danceā€ sounding great.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure, not complaining - I love that track. But I did wonder what I was listening to for a moment :laughing:

1 Like

Maybe they should rename the station as Smoova?

8 Likes

Some of the throwbacks Smoothfm play are questionable at best.

On Saturday just before midday I heard ā€œBye Bye Byeā€ by NSYNC, while they do frequently play ā€œEverybody (Backstreetā€™s Back)ā€ and ā€œLarger Than Lifeā€ by the Backstreet Boys, which I donā€™t actually mind tbh.

1 Like

Slowly but surely Iā€™m losing interest in Smooth FM. Itā€™s becoming so bland, no longer real easy listening or even Soft AC. Itā€™s sounding like Mix 106.5 circa late 90s.

5 Likes

Trying to block WS/Gold with their updated playlist while trying to remain fresh to their listeners. Sometimes that can be fraught with danger. I find Smooth tolerable but not listenable as they once were. Too much boy band pop.

5 Likes

Way too many 90s boy bands. Iā€™d actually prefer if they played more current softer hits and more 70s and 80s easy listening. ie. Play more older and more new music, rather than so much 90s focus.

Breeze does it well - ABBA to Harry Styles

9 Likes

That and too many disco songs. I was streaming Smooth this week for a few days. Itā€™s not bad but if I was an office or worksite listener I would switch quickly. The playlist seems to be too small. But going on their ratings people listen.

5 Likes

Gary Barlow can be heard on Saturday evenings from 4pm to 5pm on the Smooth FM Network.

6 Likes

Had to suffer this station during a visit to my GP. Awful music with too many ads. Magic is great compared to this. Melbourneā€™s worst music, not best!

5 Likes