smoothfm

I agree. They are doing a great job.

Contrast this to Nine Radio who don’t even mention DAB as an option to receive 4BC. Their online ads say “streaming or 882AM”. What the actual… Can’t they even mention DAB?

2 Likes

Maybe Byron started earlier shift?

1 Like

ARN are the same with WSFM too, also only mentions FM or streaming

2 Likes

I can almost forgive it with an FM station, but an AM station not mentioning DAB is ridiculous.

4 Likes

Has Smoothfm stopped having separate bulletins on the weekend in both Melbourne and Sydney? I just listened to the 10am bulletin and it started with a very localised Victorian story and also mentioned the Harbour Bridge was closed. If this is a permanent thing it’s a bad move. It was funny hearing the Cahill express way being mispronounced as Nathan the news presenter who should use he’s full name on air as it’s more professional is based in Melbourne.

I am pretty confident they use Nine Radio syndication as one of their news sources as some of their scripts are word for word the same. That should not be allowed in metropolitan areas as we should be getting our news from a variety of sources and with Nova Entertainment using Nine Radio as a source it reduces the available unique sources.

3 Likes

Maham Kashany in my opinion one of the best voices in newsreading is certainly heard on Nova, Smooth and 2GB

1 Like

The last time I listened to the news on FM radio it was lucky to be more than a retelling of a selection of headlines that you could easily lift from news.com.au or Ninefax’s website.

2 Likes

Smooth is usually one of the better FM stations.

1 Like

Yes Maham Kashany is a very good news presenter I have noticed the same. Probably a freelancer.

2 Likes

Smooth FM’s commercial includes DAB

4 Likes

Yes I have noticed the same. I wondered if it was still in ‘holiday’ mode and it might return back to normal?

There’s a traffic announcer on Gold 104.3 who sounds like a robot (quite annoying) and when I visited Perth last year, there he was on Triple M. And now, he’s popped up on Smooth 91.5.

Deffo some centralisation happening.

2 Likes

Impressed! It seems Smooth is the only operator mature enough to list DAB alongside FM in their promotions. It’s absolutely standard in the UK but for some reason is resisted here by the likes of SCA and ARN.

3 Likes

The old days when every station had its own newsroom 7 days a week (and some stations with 24 hr coverage) with local bulletins and a full roster of reporters are long gone. The economies and audience just aren’t there to justify it these days.

I’ll agree with the news reader not giving his surname. It’s not critical but it’s a courtesy that they should have. Although it’s so long since I’ve heard news on FM radio, maybe that’s the norm now?

1 Like

Assume you’re referring to Nathan Gardiner. I’ve not known him to not use his surname :man_shrugging:

1 Like

All three networks (plus Ace Radio) outsource their traffic reporting to ATN. Nine is in-house (except for 3AW, currently using the Department of Transport but moving in-house too).

2 Likes

I am referring to the fact that he calls himself Nath Gardner instead of Nathan Gardner I never said he didn’t use he’s surname on air. Using Nathan Gardner is more professional and should be used. Unless he’s name is actually Nath and not Nathan which I guess is possible but highly unlikely.

I would say that Nova Entertainment uses Nine’s Newsmaker product hence why in their news reports some stories are word for word the same as Nine and the use of such a product outside of Adelaide should not be allowed as 5AA has a affiliation with Nine Radio.

1 Like

Right. Completely ridiculous, but you are entitled to your opinion.

6 Likes

It’s not ridiculous it’s a valid point. Using nicknames is unprofessional when presenting news bulletins. It might seem small and insignificant to you but it makes a difference overall. Especially on a station targeting an older demographic. I find myself correcting him whenever he presents bulletins. Otherwise he is a good presenter.

Newsmaker should not be used as a sole news source especially in Sydney and Melbourne where there is Nine Radio stations such as 3AW and 2GB. It’s suss when news intros are word for word the same. It’s much easier to do that if the stories are already in a system and the presenter just needs to read the script. It seems to happens quite often.

1 Like

Sorry but when you gave his first name and then said he didn’t use his full name… it pretty much leads to point to the surname being missing. So your issue is that he used “Nath” instead of “Nathan”?? Come on…

5 Likes

Ash Gardner at Nova uses ‘Ash’ and not Ashleigh also.

Maybe its a thing with those with that surname.

3 Likes