smoothfm

This logo looks like following the Classic Rock format where they played a much broader playlist just prior to launching smooth.

I quite liked the Classic Rock branding and thought it really could’ve worked.

Had it been around today, Classic Rock would’ve forced WSFM to go more softer 80s/classic hits (like Cruise) and forced 2MMM to play more modern/indie rock.

It would’ve also allowed 2Day/WSFM to have a clearer path for the ex-Mix106.5 listeners.

It could’ve been a good thing.

3 Likes

Everything after Vega and before smooth… I remember they had a little rock kind of aircheck jingle, I really liked it… it was similar to the smoooth 95.3 smooooth 95 point threeeeee,

It used to just go 95 point 3, ninety 5 point threee , with a soft rock guitar underneath as the bed of the jingle

I can hear it in my head…

3 Likes

Yeah I think classic rock could have worked but the playlist was both too narrow and safe, and a bit too heavy. If it was broader and included some softer classic rock I think it could have worked. I liked the classic rock branding too. I did like the original Smooth though, not so much now.

3 Likes

smoothfm ads are still on high rotation in Brisbane. I feel that a big target is to tune in via some sort of app rather than DAB+. For example, when the Gold Coast news is played on Seven and Nine’s GC submarket stations, there are smooth FM ads while they aren’t played on the rest of the Brisbane market at the same time - so clearly targeted at the GC market where most would struggle to get realisable DAB from Brisbane.

3 Likes

It stupid for them to market and advertise Smooth as a FM station in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth when it not the FM Band in the first place. Call it Smooth DAB instead of Smooth FM
that will be more right

5 Likes

100% agree.

They own the domain www.smooth.com.au so why not just call it smooth?

2 Likes

I think they should brand it Smooth Radio which is usually how Smooth in the UK promotes itself.

2 Likes

I think on the banner it should say “DAB Digital Radio” not just “Digital Radio”. There are an awful lot of people that don’t know what the DAB selection means in their car radios :roll_eyes:. It’s sad but true - many people still think “Digital Radio” means digital tuning of FM/AM stations. I once asked someone if their car had digital radio and they pointed to the tuner showing an FM frequency display and said “yes of course”.

8 Likes

Kelly Golding on the breakfast slot this morning.

1 Like

Which city? Sydney I presume?

1 Like

Melbourne. So perhaps national?

1 Like

Not a first. I think I heard Ross from Nova93.7 workdays hosting a shift on Nova96.9.

It makes sense. Brilliant having uniform metro branding - I’m sure Triple M does the same too at this time of year.

1 Like

Yes I meant to mention the other day I heard Ross on Nova Melb.

1 Like

Nova Entertainment has announced smoothfm’s breakfast line-up for 2023, starting next Monday. Mike Perso will host solo in Melbourne with no replacement for Jennifer Hansen.

• Smooth FM 95.3’s More Music Breakfast Show with Bogart Torelli and Ron Wilson from 5.30am
  • Smooth FM 91.5’s More Music Breakfast Show with Mike Perso from 5.30am
  • Brisbane’s More Music Breakfast Show with Nick Michaels from 5.30am
  • Perth’s More Music Breakfast Show with Karen Prater from 5.30am
  • Adelaide’s More Music Breakfast Show with Kelly Golding from 5.30am
4 Likes

Mike really was solo, just with Jen on news and taking part in the show. I wonder if Nicole Gunn will be the new news presenter permanently?

Not sure what it is about Kelly Golding, but her voice pieces have been hard to listen to over summer.

3 Likes

Gunners is a legend, worthy of being listed in the title alongside Mike.

3 Likes

Agree! Always enjoyed her filling in for Jen previously.

2 Likes

The reason they are not replacing Jen is because she is irreplaceable.

Couple of things I’ve noticed -

At Breakfast they’ve started throwing to a reporter for certain reports.

Mel Doyle doing 7pm - 9pm this week ahead of Cam Daddo.

3 Likes

I am really impressed with the way smooth are doing things in Brisbane.

Too often DAB strations are seen as the poorer brothers of the AM / FM stations, but Smooth have been going all out on this - Ive seen Bus advertising, Adverts on youtube and Billboards. they are really pushing it and using DAB how it should be

7 Likes