smoothfm

If the odd play out issue occurs that is resolved timely that’s ok but if it continues for hours what is wrong with their monitoring system?

I assume that noone that is part of DMG’s management team listens to the station and as thus could tell someone to fix the system. Makes the station look incompetent. You could understand why this may happen at a community station run by a team of volunteers but at a commercial station it should not happen and if it does it should be picked up timely even on a weekend.

5 Likes

It does seem like a very weird glitch. Besides fading in/out, why would two tracks overlap each other, with an additional track on top of the current track?

The automation software has different playback modes one being that a track plays on top of another that’s how they would do a traffic report with backing music if it wasn’t live for example or recorded a few minutes ahead of time.

I believe that the industry standard automation software in Australia is Zetta by RCS and the vast majority of stations in Australia use the software.

1 Like

Most commercial radio announcers might as well be volunteers anyway.

You often wonder how much radio automation expertise is left in some of these places now?

I listen to Smooth streaming and normally they are very good.

2 Likes

You don’t need to have much experience at all to use most radio automation software. The ads are controlled by a traffic software which is just a module that can be installed. You specify when the ad should be played with different parameters and the system generates a list of times the ad will be played.
As long as the music is appropriately catalogued it would also play a song from a certain criteria and a song from a different genre next. It will also take into account to not play a song from the same artist within a specific time period.

1 Like

My last experience with radio automation was Wizard for Windows 3.1 - sounds like the software has come a long way since.

2 Likes

Mike and Jen in Melb have moved out of the old studio, however are broadcasting from a ‘secret location’… until the new studio is ready. I wonder why so much secrecy surrounding where they are?

3 Likes

It’s probably from home

1 Like

I don’t think so, they posted a video yesterday of in a studio.

1 Like

Perso probably has a home studio. But who cares where they are.

1 Like

lol No, they were in a studio.

I just though it odd that they wouldn’t say where.

1 Like

They probably should have just said nothing

1 Like

That’s kinda my point lol. Mike was making a big deal over the secrecy. Should have just said nada.

Anyways.

2 Likes

Could be a “competitor’s” studio? All chummy.

On it being a secret, all quite childish and dated marketing tactics.

2 Likes

They problay might be broadcasting from sister station Nova 100 studios

3 Likes

I did think of both of the above ^ … even weirder to think, they’d think the listeners would have an issue with it lol.

Oh wells, maybe the mystery will be explained in due course :wink:

1 Like

Sydney perhaps? Nova breakfast is still in Richmond

Can you please post the video here?

It on their insta page. Im sure someone in here would recognise the studio. Big screens and neon lights.

1 Like

Yes it must be Sydney after Jen’s last Instagram post. Richard Wilkins hosted a lunch for the smooth team.