smoothfm

It always amazed me that places like BAI and TxA didn’t get involved early in the Internet CDN business since that is what’s beginning to make their non-ionising radiation business obsolete.

BAI has 600 sites and lots have fibre into them so it would be easy to put routers in them for a CDN which would roughly mirror the population distribution. Telstra and Optus are also obvious CDN operators as well - alas stuff like CDN’s is completely beyond the exec’s running these shows.

1 Like

If anyone knows what a Smooth FM song is these days, you’re doing better than me.

Smooth started off having a well-defined easy listening format. Now, it just seems like a station confused about what it wants to be. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve tuned into the station over the last few months, hearing the song being played and questioning “Is that really a Smooth FM song?”

5 Likes

it’s become like a 2020s version of what the old TTFM used to be, which was not too heavy and not too light. The sort of station you could put on in a workplace and not offend anybody. Which is not what it originally was but it has morphed into that.

2 Likes

Smooth FM should rename it self to MIX FM then since ARN is not using it anymore.

3 Likes

That comment sums up smoothfm brilliantly.

They launched as a very niche station because of Mix106.5 in the market. Now that Mix is gone, now smoothfm can broaden and fill the void left by Mix.

It’s just more annoying these days because WS and 2Day are now also trying to fill that void.

3 Likes

Same 95.3

Sydney’s new place to be bored.

4 Likes

They need to switch to the Relax playlist but add some new easy listening tracks to it. Job done.

5 Likes

1000%!

1 Like

Just listening to a bit of Smooth Vintage - some great music on there, with plenty from the '60s and '70s. Pity it’s not on FM.

3 Likes

That’s a song that definitely belongs in the ‘Oh No, Not that Song Again “ thread for me👎

5 Likes

Oh good. ‘Smooth Stars’ is back from today.

Talk about originality.

2 Likes

Is this the world’s longest station tactic?

They’ll need to throw a 10th birthday celebration for the most bland radio contest ever.

1 Like

Smooth 80’s just Played Wet Wet Wet’s Wishing I was Lucky from 1987, It reached No.6 in the UK, never heard it on Radio before.

6 Likes

Yeah I don’t recall hearing it played here much if at all. I do hear it when I stream UK radio. Their follow up song Sweet Little Mystery got a fair amount of air play here although still not a huge it. Smooth also plays Angel Eyes which I don’t think was a huge hit here either.

3 Likes

I remember that track well from the Stereo 10 days , I used to listen to them all the time back then.Don’t remember hearing that other song mentioned there

4 Likes

I noticed on the weekend, Smooth Vintage in Melbourne seemed to be playing the same song twice 5 seconds apart and it sounded like a blurry mess. This lasted for over 24 hours. Surprised they allowed this to go to air. Wouldn’t have happened back in the 70s and 80s.

3 Likes

You’re right, It wouldn’t have - DAB wasn’t a thing back then. :wink:

Automation is the key factor here, the technology pretty much didn’t exist in the 70s and even in the 80s was too expensive, it got cheaper as the years went by.

1 Like

There really is no excuse to let that happen.

3 Likes

I agree, but it happens A LOT these days unfortunately with most playout being controlled by computers.

I often hear announcements/ads played out simultaneously / over the top of each other.

Or the wrong content aired, like with Triple M, a Melbourne announcement being incorrectly played out in Sydney (and vice versa).

And not to mention the 2SM DAB only stations often being silent for weeks on end.

4 Likes