smoothfm

Pure greed indeed @jason120au

1 Like

I really don’t understand why commercial radio is so focused on making money.

2 Likes

They already play personalised ads in their scheduled breaks at least 3 times for approximately 4 to 5 minutes in each hour which is more than enough. I would say excess and the breaks are too long causing people to change stations. Pre-roll ads are unnecessary. If people are aware that they will receive a Pre-roll ad each time they start the stream and don’t necessarily engage with the 3 ads they have on rotation it doesn’t engage the listener as much as they think it does.

If you stop and start the stream continuously which used to stop the preroll ad you will see there is only 3 ads on rotation maybe 4 which is completely stupid and is nothing but annoying. Do it properly and have several ads on rotation not just 4, so you are guaranteed a new ad when you start the stream which can be frequently if your connection is unstable.

1 Like

SCA and Ace Radio does not have pre-roll ads on their stations’ live stream yet, but it will be a matter of time before they do.

1 Like

so that they can make a bigger profit and a better return to shareholders!

:rofl::rofl::clap:

Not rocket science is it?!

2 Likes

yes, I think he was being sarcastic

3 Likes

I have had Smooth on in Perth since 6:30 this morning. I’m impressed. Kate Mac sounds good. The way it’s all been put together sounds like Sydney & Melbourne but Perth.

I might steam Brisbane and Adelaide and see if sounding as schmick too.

Kudos Smooth FM.

2 Likes

Listening to a bit of Nick Michael’s in Brisbane yesterday. 3 songs between talk breaks and very brief. Nick sounds professional as always

3 Likes

I listened yesterday and it wasn’t great for me. Perhaps it’ll improve with time.

1 Like

Yes I think so, but solo breakfast shows hardly win … Depends on what expectations they have.
Will smooth get higher ratings than say BH or BC ???

1 Like

Doubt it, if they had a FM frequency in Brisbane they’d have a better chance. But DAB and online only? Forget it.

2 Likes

Doesn’t smoothfm own rights to just the name smooth?

It seems silly calling it smoothfm in other markets where they’re not on FM.

Is it to save on voice tracking, marketing & production?

It’d sound better just to call it smooth.

2 Likes

Possibly because people have a tendency to associate FM with radio. So they hear FM and think “that’s a radio station” rather than what us enthusiasts would think “it must be on the FM band”.

Although I agree it’s usually. Even in Melbourne they could easily drop to FM and just be smooth. Nova seem to manage without FM in the name.

4 Likes

They tend to ID on air as Smooth Brisbane, or just Smooth. Some sweepers still say Smooth FM.

Mind you it doesn’t bother me if they call themselves Smooth FM even though they’re only on DAB. I’ve been listening to AM and FM almost exclusively via DAB for years.

1 Like

12:25am, Smooth is playing Britney’s Oops! I did it again.

Why? How is this ‘smooth’?

Has the ghost of Nova’s own Wacko Jacko infiltrated the music scheduling?

Followed by The Police’s Everything little thing she does is magic.

Why?

Smooth is lacking any level of sophistication. Sounds like a one station market, jumping all over the place.

7 Likes

That reminds me, I think I heard Smooth play Bon Jovi’s “Living On A Prayer” earlier in the week and thought how “un-smooth” that song seemed.

Maybe they should change their name to ‘Lumpy FM’ since it’s not so smooth anymore.

In relation to that Britney song, that doesn’t seem so bad.

8 Likes

The Mediacorp stations in Singapore used to do pre-roll ads a few years back. They had realised how dumb the execution is (especially if a stream disconnects/buffers), and has stopped this practice. I haven’t heard any pre-roll ads for the past year.

However, they do have the personalised ads in the ad breaks on the internet stream (started around 2020), which seems jarring to me compared to the FM broadcast. The internet ads are not properly aligned with the FM ads (to me, the FM broadcast is the “original” broadcast). You can hear 1-2 seconds of the beginning/ending of the FM ads before the internet ads kick in.
Also, sometimes they do not have enough spots for the internet ads, which will cause the system to play a generic station promo multiple times instead. The internet stream provided a worse listening experience compared to the FM broadcast, which does not have this nonsense.

3 Likes

I have to agree - Smooth appear to use Triton Digital (streamtheworld URL’s) and that is possibly where the pre-roll ads originate. I noticed Triton offer personalised ad breaks via their technology as well.

Most of the commercial stations appear to have changed from running their own Shoutcast or Icecast servers to using outfits like Triton which you can run via a plug-in in most radio automation systems - just a modern version of outsourcing your transmitters.

1 Like

Indeed, sadly so.

Considering the previous rise in IT employees within stations, another concerning trend downwards in staff knowledge.

First the RF engineers are outsourced or simply not replaced and IT by design facing that fate faster.

1 Like