Sky News

Not as powerful as Fox

I just don’t see any evidence that it’s harming Sky UK in any way.

Sky News UK has relatively low viewership. It attracts a certain type a viewer. A tiny % of those viewers would even be aware Sky AU exits. A small % register that it a a significantly different product - and an even smaller % actually care.

If Comcast thought it was doing any damage they would have ended the partnership long ago

Fox News rates a zero In Australia. I also think it’s seen as very American and a little toxic.

If Fox was the way to go In Oz - I think they would have done it by now.

I don’t see the News Corp AU folks interested in rebranding the #1 pay channel in Australia to A US centric one with a stench

1 Like

Yes “Fox News” rates nothing, but the brand Fox is much more powerful than Sky News. I think they could get away with it. Perhaps with a different logo and keeping the cleaner OSGs.

Dude, Sky News lowered their bar to Fox News standards long long ago.

2 Likes

Personally I’d like to see Sky change the brand to Fox. I think it’s cooler, has more edge. It lines up with Foxtel, Fox Sports, Fox Crime, Fox Docs and all the rest. It feels more flashy more aussie more fun. I just don’t see News Corp going for it. It’s just my gut. I don’t think they’d risk the change.

I wish they would

1 Like

I think what’s stopping them now is the fact their primary audience is YouTube viewers in the US so using the Fox News brand would be messy and confusing. Continuing with Sky News differentiates it enough to know it’s non-US while still giving them flexibility with the narrative they want to set for their US watchers. In reality, a brand that’s independent from Fox News US and Sky News UK would be ideal, like GB News. But if it was just a domestic news channel, Fox News makes sense for brand power and consistency with the rest of Fox’s assets

4 Likes

Agree with your analysis

They already have the name “ANC” Australia’s News Channel.

1 Like

Were there not rumours a few years back of News Corp tying Sky News in with The Australian and renaming it ‘The Australian News Channel’ or similar? (Which also happens to be the channel’s corporate name, does it not?)

ANC or Australian News Channel are both pretty lame / weak names / brands

Hopefully news corp execs recognise that

2 Likes

As others have pointed out that doesn’t work for Sky’s global audience - which is a significant profit / content driver

1 Like

Can’t be worse than TalkTV

One of the commercial networks needs to move on their own news channel. I’d like to see 7 do it. They’re still one channel down on 9. And ABC 24 shows that there is a place for 24 hour news on free to air, given its ratings when major news happens.

I honestly don’t think Australia is big enough to support 3 news channels unless 7 went down the road of opinion programming.

As much as Mediaspy hates Bolt, Murray etc it still rates a lot better than an actual average news bulletin.

Also there would be extra costs involved and I don’t know if 7 could justify the costs.

Sky News has a lot of infomercial companies filling their commercial breaks. That would probably be the same with 7 as well.

5 Likes

Ah yes, Fox. A brand that’s almost universally loathed. No one likes Fox Sports, they sigh and pay up because it’s the only way to watch the game. If Fox was any way not a toxic brand, then Kayo and Binge would not have run a million miles from it.

Also, the Aussie thing is nonsense. After all, Fox is owned by a guy who trashed his Australian citizenship to make a buck overseas.

1 Like

This makes no sense.

Fox News is an absolute monster in terms of ratings and super fans.

Fox Sports is the #2 pay channel In Australia

I think you’re letting your feelings of Rupert or News corp or something influence your take on Fox.

A brand so universally loathed that millions of people pay to consume?

Ok

3 Likes

For some reason I was reminded of the Stateline marathons which ABC used to run on the weekend. I can just imagine 7 News Channel having marathons of all of their capital city and local news bulletins overnight.

1 Like

The people that decided on kayo and Binge are the same people who keep Fox Sports, Foxtel, Fox Funny, Fox Crime, Fox8, Foxtel Movies, Fox Docs Etc front and Centre.

They can’t think it’s too toxic or they’d dump it. They’re calling the shots.

NOW (UK), Paramount+, Stan, Hulu, star etc are all new brands created by legacy brands because they saw benefit to being disassociated with the legacy brands (Sky, CBS, Nine etc)

Binge and Kayo are the same

1 Like

7 or 9 could launch a cheap “news channel” with it’s existing news programs and additional offshoots, extra content and extra bulletin or two. Then reair conent, or sign up for BBC News, NBC News Now etc, for overnight hours.

1 Like

What are your thoughts on local news metro channels? Sydney and Melbourne could easily have their own - similar to NY1.

2 Likes