Sky News

I’ve posted it before (and The Guardian has covered it previously) but I suspect Sky was likely making a loss, probably quite a heavy loss - linear ratings have always been pretty terrible and they’ve had to pay to get exposure in the past to a wider audience.

It clearly clicked that they could be making bank off social media / YouTube from specific groups / demographics and therefore they pivoted accordingly.

4 Likes

That story on TV Blackbox is a day late as Murray was in Mudgee last night.

3 Likes

Would never have guessed Melissa Doyle would land at Sky News even if it could be a one off. This interview is a good get for any noted journo and demonstrates free to air is missing out by not having her on their books in some capacity.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/kylie-mooregilbert-to-reveal-her-iran-jail-nightmare-with-sky-news-australia-and-melissa-doyle/news-story/d90a0168b6e00728a8fda0f963b75ba6

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLz4AmpDRCB/?igshid=ch376laa00zx

8 Likes

How could Mel do that to herself.

5 Likes

Money and rebuilding a TV profile?

3 Likes

Rebuilding her TV profile at Sky News. Sure that’s something to be proud of. Not!

4 Likes

If it was Sky News Australia, yes you’d be right. But this is Sky News UK - not owned by Rupert and run by the conspiracy nuts. She’ll be fine.

1 Like

No it’s not.

Oh…well then. Maybe she’s freelancing and not contracted to them long term?

1 Like

Yeah, I’d hope it is.

There’s only so many TV networks in Australia…

2 Likes

The Instagram post has been removed, but Mel had also posted a promo on her Twitter.

1 Like

I say good on her if she wants to join Sky News in the future. Shes her own person she can join any news organization she wants if this is the case.

8 Likes

I think it’s a one off though i could be wrong. I can see her more as a Freelancer than being tied to a network.

6 Likes

I haven’t visited this thread in a long time. But I saw this when logging onto MediaSpy this afternoon and thought it was appropriate for Sky News…

7 Likes

Great promo, great interviewer. Shame it’s on Sky News, but you gotta go where the work and money is sometimes. Good for her

6 Likes

Sad state of affairs when talented journalists are forced to lower themselves to freelancing on Sky News.

I know a lot of you have an agenda against Murdoch and Sky News but Sky provides opportunities for Freelancers and Permanents to produce news specials and documentaries.

Could you see opportunities at Ten for long form interviews for example?

Not everything is right wing skewered.

11 Likes

Like the opportunities he provided to workers at Ten when he gutted the joint? Spare me.

1 Like