Sky News

Yeah see I don’t get why they’re not just gonna rebrand Sky News Extra for a few months (wasn’t it called Sky News COVID-19 at one point for COVID pressers?) instead of a whole new channel

Actually, they might actually do that

1 Like

Channel Seven lawsuit incoming?

And I can already imagine the content of the channel:

Vote No for the voice and if you dare to have a different opinion then you’re accusing me of being a Racist

On Repeat 24/7

1 Like

At least with covid, there was constant updates nationally and internationally they could draw upon to warrant a full channel. I can’t see how they would fill a channel with content on a referendum.

2 Likes

It frequently gets renamed to Sky News Election, too.

5 Likes

ITV Studios Australia owns that.

1 Like

A blast from the past! Can’t quite remember if this was this a separate show to Prime News, or the same bulletin with a different title card? I think also (don’t know for certain) Sky News NZ used to take half an hour of London whilst Australia aired Prime News?

2 Likes

I think it was separate from Prime News.

2 Likes

It was a separate show.
And rated dismally.

2 Likes

From today (June 26), listeners on the Nova Player mobile app will be able to stream Sky News network’s breaking news coverage and opinion programs nationwide on demand.

1 Like

You’d think Listnr would take Sky News Radio given Sky News Regional is on SCA

Separate from Prime News - this was a half-hour that filled in at 6pm Sydney/Melb time (8pm NZ) - keeping in mind this were the days where Seven and Nine combined had a majority share (being split three equal ways with News Ltd the other part), so they didn’t want competition with their own 6pm shows (before this, Sky AU used to take a full hour of Sky UK rather than the usual bottom-of-the-hour).

5 Likes

And Sky News could pretend to NZ viewers that it was a ‘New Zealand’ news channel. Would also have been competing against News at 8 on TVNZ7 (RIP).

4 Likes

Yep, they did indeed call it “Sky News NZ” over there, with the map of Australia in their logo at the time replaced by the letters “NZ”. And yeah, definitely went head-to-head with TVNZ 7’s news, although it pre-dated the latter by about a year (March 2007) - something Sky NZ (um… I mean the pay TV operator here) would’ve known as TVNZ 6 and 7 were certainly on the horizon.

Of course, until they saw the ratings and stuff; Wikipedia points to a contemporary NZ Herald article that stated that the premiere bulletin drew an average of 1,500. Not like they promoted it or anything, right? :man_shrugging: They knew what they were getting though if they’d ever watched the Prime 5.30 news (which had been about 3 years old by then), besides Sky News making an effort to not present it out of Sydney or wherever.

4 Likes

Sky News theme music from that era was an absolute banger though

5 Likes

It’s been on there for months.

100%! Never been bettered.

1 Like

Sky News NZ definitely used to take the London feed, at least between 8-8.30. I think Evening News NZ might have aired after?

1 Like

The clock on that closer had 2027hrs NZ time.

That recording is from the Australian feed. Pretty sure NZ used to take Sky UK at that time.

(From May 2007 - look for the Sky News NZ ident at the start)

1 Like

very fox news style era, a far cry from the dead boring Sky News UK these days

2 Likes