Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Will be interesting to see if this affects any overall results including any weekly wins.

Mark Ferguson breathes a sigh of relief this morning, lol.

1 Like

Admittedly, I live in the Fairfield LGA, which is more than one hour’s drive from Wollongong, and surprisingly got good reception for Prime7 Wollongong than the main Seven, and WIN over the main Nine.

It was only just before the Commonwealth Games that I got my reception fixed to get the main metro channels.

If you take that report at face value and say that potential viewers for Sydney were out by 20,000, by how much would that impact Seven News ratings. First, of the 20,000, how many were watching TV at 6pm. Let’s be generous and say 50% though it is more likely a lot less. Then of those 10,000, how many were watching Seven News. Again if very generous and say 40% - that would be 4,000 less viewers for Seven. But it would also impact Nine News by the same amount, if not more.

5 Likes

May or may not have a more significant impact outside of primetime when numbers are lower, but network shares may be skewed one way or the other.
Sounds like a lot of work to recalculate and republish them all.

Survey period average weekday 6-7pm to end of week 35 compared to 2021.

1 Like

Rather surprising revelation, though pitty to see that it was apparently brought about by a network being unhappy.

–

Also pretty sure that “spill” (as mentioned in the article) is a significant differing point between the 7 Day Total and Voz reports, in that one includes and one excludes it, also one is de-duplicated and one isn’t and one includes an estimate for markets not peoplemetered while the other doesn’t. I do wonder if these differences are why they’re not being released and talked about more. @TV.Cynic

Week 36 2022 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2022

Weeks won - 2022

Week 36 2021

3 Likes

Not a lot of change in the 5-city market where Seven was up 7,000 and Nine down 6,000 from week 35.

AFL impacted the ratings in Perth where both bulletins suffered on Thursday and Friday nights.

Congratulations for Seven Melbourne that hit the 21-weeks won for the full hour to be the number one news service based on that measure. :partying_face:

Seven also took back a week in Brisbane to win by less than one thousand across the hour, again seeing the drop off for the second half hour almost cost it the week.

Seven in Sydney managed to top 200,000 – must be all those missing OzTAM viewers! though Nine was also up week-on-week.

4 Likes

So close in Brisbane largely due to a big loss in the second half hour on Friday night.

RIP Nine Melbourne’s run (2011-2021)

I would assume there would be crisis talks at Nine Melbourne now. Having such a big lead over your competitor and it suddenly turning around would get them worried.

1 Like

Luring back Rebecca Maddern (who has just left Nine) was a masterstroke.

2 Likes

Seven Melbourne has managed to turn things around with Bec Maddern returning to Seven. The Mike Amor/Maddern duo has been a turning point for Seven. Also Abbey Gelmi presenting sport has also been a factor in Seven winning the News ratings war over Nine. Over at Nine Melbourne, Peter Hitchener has started to reduce his workload. This has had a huge effect on Nine’s ratings.

Yes Bec has proven to be successful… but she’s one of a number of elements that have turned Seven News Melbourne around this year. Credit to the team behind her.

4 Likes

I seem to recall Seven won in 2019 by the ‘weeks won’ measurement.

1 Like

Oh please. As good, well known and I guess liked as she is, IIRC Cynic’s comment is about Monday to Friday? Doesn’t she usually co-present Saturdays and Sundays. You’d have to argue it’s Peter Mitchell if anyone, but echoing another MS member above, it’d surely be a series of factors, from producing and direction, to resourcing, journalists and reporting, to presentation and execution, to delivery and marketing and so on. And on Cynic’s comment, it’s hour, so Tim Watson and Jane Bunn and their departments would also have to be credited.

1 Like

Bec also filled in on weeknights on occasions.

Saturdays and Sundays. She also presents Monday, Thursday and Friday for the Afternoon News, with the Monday being with Mike Amor and Thursday/Friday by herself. This year Seven decided not to do Sunday-Thursday/Friday-Saturday during the AFL season and remain with the current ones.

However, there is two likely reasons for the change as well:

1. The Chase Australia winning over Hot Seat
  2. Peter Hitchener stepping back to Monday-Thursday
2 Likes

Week 37 2022 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2022

Weeks won - 2022

Week 37 2021

2 Likes

Seven posted a 26,000 gain this week helped by a good number on Friday – all Seven’s numbers were up except Brisbane that slipped 7k to lose the week narrowly to Nine after last week’s narrow win.

Seven was again dominate in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

Nine was down 10k in the 5-city market with small only changes in each market from the previous week, though the trend for Melbourne continues down.

2 Likes