Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Could this also be due to Hitch reducing his on-air presence from five nights down to four? I reckon that could be a factor, too (though I may be wrong because I don’t know much about the Melbourne news market).

I don’t know if that’s really influencing this, given how popular Alicia Loxley has tended to be with Melbourne audiences. I do note that the increase has coincided with the new theme, + the return of more popular AFL matches.

1 Like

Week 20 2022 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2022

Weeks won - 2022

Week 20 2021

Mostly positive results especially for Nine News that was up by 62,000 on the previous week while Seven improved by a modest 8,000. Nine Sydney was up 16k while Nine Melbourne was up 16k posting a narrow win across the hour with Seven ahead at 6pm and Nine at 6.30pm.

In Brisbane, both bulletins were up by 20,000 with the week’s rain drawing extra attention.

Compared to week 20 of 2021, across the five markets both Seven and Nine were down 20%.

4 Likes

Week 21 2022 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2022

Weeks won - 2022

Week 21 2021

Changes from the previous week were comparatively small with many bulletins down slightly. Overall, Seven was down 1,000 while the 5-city number for Nine was down 23,000.

Biggest change was a 22,000 increase for Seven Melbourne that continues to improve its position, this week posting its second biggest result of the year while rival Nine was down 12,000.

Nine Brisbane also edged up to better Seven this week as that bulletin lost 20,000 from the previous week.

Meanwhile in Perth Nine was up 13,000 on the last week a 29% improvement from week 21 of 2021.

3 Likes

As previously stated, this is definitely a trend we’re seeing in Melbourne now. It’s not just a blimp we’ve seen in previous years.

For me I believe it’s a combination of few factors leading to Seven out performing Nine in Melbourne.

• The Chance (lead in)
  • Sunrise (number one)
  • Rebecca Maddern (new addition)
  • New Graphics / Colour change
  • Election Coverage (and debate)
  • War on Ukraine coverage.
  • AFL coverage

The look and feel of the Seven product feels way more fresh than Nines.

1 Like

According to some people, graphics/presentation doesn’t matter! But I noticed the biggest change in ratings soon after their new look.

Like I said… it’s a number of factors. Ratings were improving slightly prior to the graphic change though.

1 Like

The ratings week and full year counters got swapped. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks - fixed.

2 Likes

Week 22 2022 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2022

Weeks won - 2022

Week 22 2021

Not a lot of significant change from the previous week - Seven up 7k thanks to Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth while Nine was down 10k with largest drops in Brisbane (8k) and Perth (11k).

Seven really pulling ahead across the ratings period in Melbourne and Brisbane now.

4 Likes

Week 23 2022 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2022

Weeks won - 2022

Week 23 2021

In the 5-city numbers both Seven and Nine were up 14k on the previous week with Seven winning the week by over 100,000. Compared to week 23 of 2021 Seven is down 6% while Nine is down 16%.

In Sydney, Nine had another easy win, winning every night though both bulletins saw week-on-week increases.

Standout performance of the week goes to Seven Melbourne that had its first +300,000 week of the year – its first since October 2021 winning every night including by 76,000 on Monday.

Brisbane continues to be a close battleground with Nine clawing back a win, winning every night except Friday and up 10k on week 22 while Seven slipped slightly by 7,000.

Not much change for Adelaide and Perth though Nine Adelaide is losing ground from its position last year.

3 Likes

Week 24 2022 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2022

Weeks won - 2022

Week 24 2021

Closing in on the halfway point of the year and another easy win to Seven despite dropping 22,000 from week 23. Nine edged up 3,000 with the boost coming from increases in Brisbane (7k) and Melbourne (3k).

The biggest change came where Seven dropped by 22,000 in Sydney giving Nine a big win. Seven also dropped in Melbourne (10k down) but was still well ahead of Nine. In Brisbane, Seven won at 6pm but Nine won by so much at 6.30 that it won across the hour.

2 Likes

Week 25 2022 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2022

Weeks won - 2022

Week 25 2021

Some disappointing numbers for early winter; Seven down 20,000 and Nine down by 28,000 from week 24.

Nine had another big win in Sydney as Seven averaged below 200,000 for the first time this year, down 22% from week 25 of 2021.

In Melbourne, Seven stayed in front building its lead over Nine to 50,000.

In Brisbane Seven again couldn’t hold onto to its 6pm lead and Nine just managed to edge ahead across the hour.

Seven continues to do comparatively better in Adelaide this year with Nine down 13% while in Perth it’s Nine that is doing better though still a long way behind. Out west Seven posted its lowest audience of the year.

2 Likes

Bit concerning to see the year on year numbers. Both products are down around 100k, but then again last year we were going through random lockdowns.

I think people are just sick of news to be honest. We’ve had two years of bad and negative news daily. It’s probably people doing their own mental health cleanse and avoiding news and trying to move on with life.

I’ve stopped watching the news on a daily basis and feel much more happier with life. Ignorance is bliss.

1 Like

7 was behind all week; they made up a lot of ground on Friday night.

While I totally understand this, and while what we watch on FTA also carries some biases, it concerns me when people I speak to tell me they get their news from Facebook and other social media sources. I suspect they’re not even reading/watching the full stories, just skimming headlines… and we all know how misleading they are.

If people are getting their news from Facebook and only reading the headlines they probably don’t care enough about news to even absorb and digest what they’ve read.

The trouble is they think they’re “informed” and run with the headline.

Having afl on 7mate on both Thursday and Friday at 6pm
Probably didn’t help Perth’s 7News

3 Likes