Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

With very little new information… most are a bit sick of the repetitive news each night. Expect higher numbers again when the government announces easing of restrictions.

2 Likes

My rough calculations based on the published figures had it more like a win by 1,700 to 7, rather than 500… but still very close.

The difference in Brisbane is as posted above based on published numbers.

The difference is still roughly the same based on the daily raw data that isn’t rounded to the nearest 1,000.

1 Like

I’d disagree. Perth would be in a much better position to keep Rick Ardon solo on weekdays if Sue isn’t present

The new set of presenters set to someday take over the screens do well though. For Nine Perth you’ll start to need much more than just presenter changes. The network would also need far more of a connection to viewers.

Week 36 2020

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 36 2019

In the 5 cities Seven News was down 40,000 from last week and Nine was down 35,000. For Seven, Brisbane dropped the most losing 12,000 viewers from last week. For Nine, Sydney shed 23,000.

In Brisbane, Nine reached the 20 weeks won milestone, so can’t be beaten for the year based on weeks won.
Bulletins in Sydney, Adelaide and Perth are now back to 2019 levels. Melbourne notable for both bulletins still drawing record numbers.

3 Likes

Seven Melbourne won a week.

2 Likes

Perth down due eagles and dockers mid week games on Mate…maybe :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Week 37 2020

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 37 2019

In Brisbane, Nine has now won 21 week, so based on that measurement has won the ratings year. The bulletin has also won 27 weeks in total across the year so has also won the calendar year.

Based on the average audience Nine is also ahead for the ratings year 211,000 to 204,000. Point of possible discussion is that when the weekend bulletins are factored in Seven is ahead by 4,000.

By contrast, at this week last year, Seven was leading 20 weeks to Nine’s 9, and hit 21 weeks to win the year the next week.

Elsewhere, Nine had a big week in Sydney, up 23,000, and Melbourne, up 25,000. In Perth, both bulletins were down, up against AFL.

4 Likes

Week 38 2020

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 38 2019

BREAKING: Nine News wins the 6:30 segment of the news for the first time this year. Last time it won any segment was Week 11 last year when it won the 6:30 segment by 400 viewers. Despite rating lower than the previous week, Nine’s audience along the east coast in particular held up better than Seven’s.

Seven posted gains in Adelaide (14,000) and Perth (18,000) related to lower audiences the previous week with AFL coverage but was down 29,000 in Melbourne and 16,000 in Sydney.

While most bulletins are doing the same or better than the same week last year (especially Melbourne!) there are some notable exceptions such as Seven Sydney and Nine Perth.

4 Likes

Week 39 2020

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 39 2019

A +40,000 turn around from last week when Nine won the 6:30 segment of the news hour. Week 39 saw Seven up 32,000 and Nine down 12,000. Biggest drop was Brisbane where Nine averaged 17,000 less and only won the hour by 400 viewers with Seven winning at 6pm.

5 Likes

Week 40 2020

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 40 2019

5 cities: Seven lost audience in every market and was down a cumulative 46,000 from week 39. Nine was down 15,000.

Sydney: There was a switch back to Nine across the week with comprehensive wins on every night.

Melbourne: Softening of the numbers for both bulletins but still a good win for Nine. Both bulletins well ahead of 2019 numbers.

Brisbane: Nine notched up another win in another close contest. Seven won at 6pm plus Tuesday.

Adelaide: Seven dropped 5,000 and Nine lost 13,000 but otherwise not much different.

Perth: Nine continues to struggle posting its lowest audience since March ranking behind 10’s 5pm news last week.

3 Likes

And was 1000 behind on Friday I think.
7 is definitely still within striking distance of 9, if they can just have more consistent nightly wins and notch up a few more weeks, they’ll be right back in the race in 2021. The Olympics may help.

1 Like

Week 41 2020

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 41 2019

Despite the start of daylight saving Seven’s 5-city average was up by 11,000 from the previous week. Nine however, dropped 58,000 - down in Sydney by 34,000, Melbourne by 16,000 and Brisbane by 8,000.

That saw much closer contests on the east coast with Seven picking up a win in Brisbane after winning 3 of the 5 nights. Nine’s Perth result ranked 4th out of the major bulletins in that market.

2 Likes

Nine Perth seems to have lost ground compared to last year. I’m assuming this might be because of 10 News First @ Six ?

1 Like

What does it say about Nine News Perth when viewers would rather watch a bulletin now presented in Sydney over it?!

3 Likes

As with Adelaide and Brisbane I don’t think the general perception of the bulletin is being presented from Sydney. The average person wouldn’t know.

I’m in favour of Nine Perth mirroring Nine Adelaides schedule and move it’s Afternoon News to 5pm.

1 Like

Nine really need a push for their news in Perth. They desperately need a duo presenters to compete with Seven Perth.

I know this might look crazy but, maybe have Peter Overton read the news in Perth for about a week and see if the presenter matters…

2 Likes

That would only ensure that the ratings go further south.

3 Likes

Well it does but doesn’t matter at the same time…
Rick and Sue are the incentive to watch Seven News Perth, but at the same time, Seven is already considered the dominant news leader there. At the moment it’s just too tough for Nine Perth to compete.
Also, I wouldn’t recommend Peter Overton reading the Perth news. He’s a great presenter, don’t get me wrong, but this is Perth, not Sydney.

1 Like

Week 42 2020

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 42 2019

News audiences were generally down with the 5 city total for both Seven and Nine the lowest since before the COVID pandemic in March. Seven lost 39,000 and Nine 6,000.

Sydney was an exception where “bombshell” political news pushed audiences higher.
Melbourne saw Seven pick up another 6.30 pm win but Nine held on to narrowly win across the hour.
Brisbane saw Seven’s audience down 24,000 to its second lowest result of the survey. On Friday night in Brisbane both Seven and Nine’s bulletins posted their lowest audiences of the 2020 survey.
Seven in Adelaide and Nine in Perth posted small gains week-on-week. Nine Adelaide dropped 8,000 while Seven Perth lost 16,000.

3 Likes