Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Seven was up slightly from last year.

Week 10 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 9 in 2018

1 Like

Close in Melbourne this week.

Indeed. Seven News beat Nine News in Melbourne in the second half hour on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, plus the first half hour on Thursday.

1 Like

Meanwhile in Sydney, Nine seems to be on the up at 6pm & across the hour but those 6.30pm numbers…does anyone with more detailed info know (while refraining from posting any data which is beyond what’s allowed as part of Media Spy’s agreement with OzTam, of course) whether or not there’s actual ratings evidence for the “forecast switchover” trend I’ve suspected has been happening here for some time now?

Either way, it’ll be interesting to see whether the start of the NRL season results in a rise or fall in TCN’s 6pm news ratings.

1 Like

Week 11 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 9 in 2018

We have our first breakout from the usual pattern of this survey with Nine Brisbane ahead in the 6.30 half hour.

1 Like

9 news perth had its best week since week 31 last year

Can’t say I’m massively surprised that the ratings of many bulletins went up during a week which was a fairly big one for news.

Next week’s news ratings for the Sydney market should be interesting, when every network will well and truly be in State Election Countdown mode. Nine (typically followed by Seven sometime after) will probably also add a spanner in the works by running their annual Royal Easter Show family pass viewer giveaway in the next week or so? Because those usually come on about three weeks before the event IIRC.

Any more details?

I have week 15 during the Commonwealth Games (when Today Tonight was not shown in Perth).

On Friday the bulletins that seemed to get a boost from the day’s news were 10 and ABC.

Nine’s News did do well this week, lead-in to Married, which was in mid-100k this week there?

Week 12 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 9 in 2018

With red dominating this week, Nine wins across the full hour for the first time this survey in Brisbane; looks like it could be another tight contest this year. Seven Melbourne wins the 6.30pm half hour.

2 Likes

The new news director at HSV7 seems to be working. They only lost by 1K this week.

In Brisbane The Chase is working well for 7’s first half and ACA/MAFS/NRL all working for 9 for the second half I’d say…

Unless 7News have a massive win tonight in Brisbane it’ll be another weekly win to 9.
NRL and MAFS really having an influence.

1 Like

Week 13 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 13 in 2018
In 2018 week 13 was non-ratings including Good Friday

Brisbane continues its tradition of being a main battleground state with a second win for Nine News.

Nationally both bulletins have lost viewers for the second week in a row. Networks would be hoping for an increase when daylight savings finishes.

2 Likes

Only 6k difference in Melbourne

3 Likes

Seven have really got to do something about Sydney though, because they’re going backwards to a widening gap again. Nine has at least been staying above 250k most weeks so far during the ratings year!

With that sea of red in Sydney, you’d imagine that Nine and/or Seven will be hoping for a ratings boost to come out of the inevitable Royal Easter Show family pass viewer giveaways which should start next week (admittedly I was probably too quick to predict them a start for them two Saturdays ago, although I think one did happen as early as 3-4 weeks out a few years back)!

BTW, I personally think these bribes from the news services to viewers in the form of ticket giveaways for major events are extremely tacky myself. But there must be some evidence which proves that they’re an audience puller (or not completely alienating to viewers at the very least), otherwise Seven and especially Nine wouldn’t do them each and every year…

Week 14 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 14 in 2018
In 2018 week 14 was non-ratings including Easter Sunday

Earlier sunsets are seeing a lot of green this week. Melbourne still close and Nine wins the second half hour in Brisbane.

3 Likes

Have a look at the year on year figures. Had daylight saving already commenced?

1 Like

Yes to daylight savings plus the Easter Monday news numbers are always large plus (1.26 million for Seven at 6pm) the Commonwealth Games commenced so Brisbane had +260,000 on two nights and Adelaide and Perth only had 30 minute news).

2 Likes