Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Week 51 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 51 in 2017:

Nine won every day in Brisbane last week across the hour.

Interesting to note, that nine have lost almost 70k year on year in numbers.

It does make you think, where will numbers be in 5 years time.

2 Likes

Didn’t 7 have some 30min bulletins in brisbane last week? Not sure, I was out of town. Maybe that had an effect…

Seven had one 30 minute bulletin during that week but both 30 minute segments of Nine’s news rated higher.

1 Like

Week 52 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 52 in 2017:

Seven Sydney with it’s first 6pm win of the year!

2 Likes

Cricket lead-in influenced, most likely. Despite Seven’s 6pm half win, Nine managed to hold on at 6.30pm (while Seven’s meteorologist was understandably on his Summer break, quite coincidental I’m sure :wink:) and across the hour!

Once everything’s been said and done, I personally think Nine would be the Sydney news service most impressed with their ratings during 2018 despite the closer 6.30pm figures for Seven so in summary: Seven still needs to “Usher in” a new Sunday-Thursday presenter, while Nine still needs to somehow find a female meteorologist (because let’s be realistic here, TCN probably want Pete & Cam to become a Hendo & Kenny-like duo and they need at least one female as part of the main team)!

Seven Melbourne took out the final week, due to the cricket lead in.

2 Likes

Very low numbers for Brisbane news. I don’t know about you but I’ve really started disliking Andrew Lofthouse’s presenting style. It’s very sensationalist and feels like he’s shouting at you. Couple that with some shitty Frontline-worthy content, and you wonder why the ratings are rating the way it is.

Seven, despite looking a mess, has more professional presenters in Kendall Gilding and Katrina Blowers and they deliver their bulletin in a polished, fluent manner.

2 Likes

Terrible ratings all round, especially Nine news with 600k? But summer and festive period, no major surprises I guess. ATN and HSV would be happy with any wins.

Week 1 2019 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 1 in 2018:

2 Likes

Week 2 2019 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 2 in 2018:

Do you think what happened to Seven in recent years with the news during the tennis, will now happen to Nine from Monday? (i.e) news numbers down.

Which they wouldn’t be too happy about, being leaders in Sydney and Melbourne.

Seven just can’t make inroads in Melbourne and Sydney. I feel that it will take until Hitch retires in Melbourne that we may see a swing.

The Sydney news ratings trends were all over the place last year, with Nine enjoying extraordinary ratings success during the Commonwealth Games and Seven starting to snap at Nine’s heels during Winter.

So keeping that (and also the fact Seven will have BBL coverage on many, but not all AO nights) in mind, it’s hard to say whether the tennis will help or hurt the ratings of Nine News.

…and what do you think Seven should do about Sydney? Try and poach Pete and/or Cam? Try and poach some of TCN’s “rising star” presenters/reporters?

For the most part, I think the quality of Seven News Sydney has only declined over the last five years with much of their best talent (yes Nine & Ten have also seen on-air changes to their Sydney news services, but Seven’s seem to have had the most negative effect on the quality of their bulletins) having fled the Martin Place newsroom in recent years.

Weird thing is, if a tennis match approaching 6pm is a thriller (especially with big name let alone an Australian) it does give news a big boost.

It’s when there’s none of the above, that it acts in a negative effect for news.

Two days into the first week of Australian Open, Nine News Melbourne actually increased its audience and easily accounted for Seven News.

I also think Seven News needs to sponsor small community events across Melbourne to raise its brand awareness. For the past few years Nine News logo can be seen on plasterboards promoting Christmas carols and community concerts organised by local councils around the city. Seven News is nowhere to be seen.

Week 3 2019 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 3 in 2018:

While Sevens number are up slightly up year on year, Nines are way down. Massive loss.

9 News in Brisbane smashed by 7News… and in Adelaide and Perth too

301k average for Nine News 6pm, why couldn’t Seven get a boost when they telecasted tennis?