Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Perhaps Seven thinks that having only 30 minutes of news at 6pm is an advantage and if they moved to 1hr the 6pm ratings would decline and that any improvement at 6.30pm would not make up for potential losses at 6pm.

2 Likes

###Week 7 - preliminary
Week 1 of ratings for 2016

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

1 Like

I added a second “weeks won” table to just show the ratings period results, because that is what the networks will be talking about (Media Spiers too :slightly_smiling:)

A sea of red for the first week of ratings with all bulletins except Seven Adelaide down from the previous week across the hour.

Seven news wins week one, so it looks like it could be a competitive year ahead.

1 Like

###Week 8 - preliminary
Week 2 of ratings for 2016

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

1 Like

Nine Adelaide’s audience I think has shrunk since this time last year

It’s probably The Chase Australia factor that’s working for Seven Adelaide! :wink:

There isn’t much of a difference - perhaps a couple or ratings boxes averaged across the week. Week 7 this year was slightly higher and week 8 slightly lower.

Week 7 2015 73,000/79,000
Week 8 2015 73,000/77,000

Yeah not much of a difference

###Week 9 - preliminary
Week 3 of ratings for 2016

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

With the AFL commencing back soon… we may see Seven News win a few weeks this year in Melbourne, hasn’t been this close for a few years.

Probably, although I suspect that Seven will be subjected to six months of Sunday night smashings (and probably decent wins during the week as well) by Nine in Sydney & Brisbane due to their NRL lead-in in those markets! :wink:

###Week 10 - FINAL
Week 4 of ratings for 2016

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

A lot more green colour this week after last week’s sea of red!!

###Week 11 - Preliminary
Week 5 of ratings for 2016

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

###Week 12 - Preliminary
Week 6 of ratings for 2016

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Percentage change in ratings from 2015-2016 for the first 6 weeks of this survey. Green is an increase, red a decease. Some very significant changes to be seen.

Overall, some very large changes. Good result for Seven in Sydney and for Nine in Adelaide.

9 Perth getting back to the old days constantly 4th
Tim Gossage ten Perth as been twittering all week about ten news at 5.00 being the new number 2
Pity Tim’s breakfast show didn’t go the same way

1 Like

Yes Ten News has beaten Nine in Perth every week for the last 9 weeks. The number 2 would be the number two commercial bulletin - Ten has only had the occasional nightly win over ABC News.

2 Likes

I thought that Ten’s Perth News bulletin has rated higher than the national average for years. Similar deal with the ABC in that city.

While I suppose that having The Chase Australia as a lead-in program might’ve been helping Seven’s ratings in recent times, I think it’s the longheld perception amongst viewers over in the West that Seven is heavily local while Nine is very East Coast-centric that pushes the numbers in Seven’s favour. And of course, the Perth TV institutions that are Rick and Sue. For as long as those two are still reading Seven News Perth on weeknights, I’m sure Seven will continue to smash the opposition in the ratings at 6pm in Perth.

I found a mistake in one of the equations for the original table - so the one you can see above now is updated - though the results aren’t changed very much with pretty big changes in all markets.

FYI These are the 6 week averages for 2016

1 Like

###Week 13 - Preliminary
Week 1 of Easter non-ratings

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

1 Like