Seven Tennis Coverage

Ah right. Sorry it didn’t click. Certainly possible it’s a hit piece, but it’s worthy of a news story regardless.

I don’t know the ins and outs, but I suspect the two parties would have agreed mutually (after some negotiation) as to what the ratings targets would be and how it would be measured. You’d imagine if the cash was coming from Seven TO TA, then it’s likely Seven’s measure for success was the one used.

Uh?

23 January 2017:

18 November 2018:

ASIC commences Federal Court action against former directors of Tennis Australia
https://asic.gov.au/about-asic/news-centre/find-a-media-release/2018-releases/18-346mr-asic-commences-federal-court-action-against-former-directors-of-tennis-australia/

To Jennifer Duke’s credit, she’s been following and all over everything Tennis Australia the past year, from breaking the bombshell 4 decade summer sport rights shake up to covering the explosive ASIC investigation thoroughly.

Was only a theory, Littlegezzy, based on my reasoning with On Air before.

Still think Seven was the best deal at the time for tennis in this country so really don’t care, Ten had the Big Bash by that stage and they would juggled the two and tennis would of got screwed over. Sometimes exposure is more important than money. I realise that’s not the point but whatever

Aus Open rights have stipulation that it must be on the main channel, I mean it’s a Grand Slam, a big global stage for Australia.

10 wanted it, clearly. After they couldn’t, they went after cricket and got given BBL and what a wonderful success it turned out to be.

1 Like

The Federal Court trial against Harold Mitchell regarding Seven’s previous tennis broadcast deal will begin on November 4 and is set for three weeks.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/page-13/page-13-date-set-for-corporate-trial-of-the-year-over-australian-open-tv-rights/news-story/73f731e7ac968124959134ea86885462

1 Like

The first promo for Wimbledon 2019 has aired on Seven, just after the first ad break on Seven Morning News.

3 Likes

Here is the Wimbledon promo.

4 Likes

@7tennis on Twitter is no more. Tried to access it a few minutes ago and it said the account was suspended.

3 Likes

It was transferred to @7SportAU. You’ll notice there’s two @7Sport twitter accounts, though one is inactive. The one with over 15k followers was the @7Tennis one.

2 Likes

It appears that Jacqui Felgate will be presenting Seven’s Wimbledon coverage starting next Monday. Also take note - the telecast will start at 8:00pm which is half an hour earlier than usual (8:30pm) on 7TWO.

Given she will be on Wimbledon duties it’s likely there will need to be a replacement for her on Footy Central, if required. Last year, Nathan Templeton filled in for Sam McClure several times, but will he be used again? As I’ve said numerous times, I’d like to see Seven use Jessica Ridley on Footy Central as a means of expanding her profile within the network (though it’s very likely Templeton or even Emily Angwin will be used).

3 Likes

6 Likes

While it’s not officially confirmed, it is very likely that Novak Djokovic will feature on Monday night and Angelique Kerber will feature on Tuesday night.

It is tradition at the All England Club that the men’s and women’s defending champions open play on Centre Court on Monday and Tuesday respectively.

2 Likes

Most pointless position in television. Just get one of the hosts to do that stuff, not like the person in Footy Central isn’t just reading an autocue anyway.
Hopefully the Wimbledon coverage is nothing more than a hi then throwing to a match, cos it doesn’t need any more than that.

1 Like

I think Seven’s coverage of Wimbledon this year will be different compared to past years because the majority of their tennis commentary staff (namely Todd Woodbridge, Jim Courier and Sam Smith to name a few) had defected to Nine when they picked up the rights to the Australian summer of tennis (speaking of which, today is one year to the day since this happened).

Last year, Jason Richardson or Michael Felgate anchored the coverage from Seven’s Melbourne studios, with Todd Woodbridge (who was actually working for BBC) among the commentators at SW19.

1 Like

Has John Fitzgerald defected to Nine too? If not Seven can use him as an expert during Wimbledon coverage.

I don’t think he did.

1 Like

I think it’ll be the world feed again. Just happens that the commentators you mentioned also did the AO for 7. Would be surprised if the commentary team is vastly different.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, between 2011 and 2017, Seven only used their own commentators for matches involving Australian players, as well as for the quarters, semis and finals.

For other matches, they’d pick up the world feed, but sometimes insert their own graphics such as the commentators and updates for other matches.

This year is the penultimate year of Seven’s Wimbledon coverage and I wouldn’t be surprised if it returns to Nine afterward. If Nine picks up Wimbledon again, I hope they’ll treat it with more respect and show the coverage much earlier than what they used to do.

3 Likes

You don’t know that, it could somebody that is not a Nine or a Seven.

2 Likes