Seven Tennis Coverage

Also “banned from working as directors for life” - can’t be a director of a company or organisation again, not even their own - which is pretty much their job description.

4 Likes

Can’t seem to find Seven’s statement on ASX website though.

Harold Mitchell, has resigned from his position as chairman of Free TV chairman subsequent to allegations of withholding information from the Tennis Australia board.

Update:

Statements from FTV and Harold Mitchell:

1 Like

How can Seven even attempt to defend those leaked emails? Well, no, sorry that’s what publicity is for I suppose. But it remains what was said was said and the media and public are now aware. It makes Mitchell in particular and certain members of the SWM board/executive look fishy and all this just looks so so bad, can’t imagine what inner circles at Ten especially and also Nine are making of this. ASIC and Free TV will probably only crack down more into this.

And as CMO mentioned, wouldn’t be surprised one day (as it’s taken years for this to get action moving) the recent Cricket Australia, Seven/Nine/Ten broadcast negotiations are also brought up.

1 Like

Where are you getting that from? Who has said the emails were leaked from Seven?

1 Like

So, I’m referring to the ones that surfaced some years back and again this week. ASIC wouldn’t have come across them without a leak that’s for sure. A mystery as to whom and even TV Blackbox questioned as to who has brought all this to ASIC recently.

2 Likes

Thanks for that.

1 Like

Why is this all coming out now? The deal was made in 2012.

1 Like

Most of it was known back then, there was a lot of media talk, but it’s more focused now and more details with ASIC officially taking action.

1 Like

Nice to hear you’ve come around to that view.

Harold Michell is the one being investigated. He was on the TA board, allegedly providing them with info. Seven have nothing to defend at this point.

No, when I said that, I meant in reality nothing will probably happen (not that I didn’t want it looked at).

Todd called the matches off-tube at the Seven studio

2 Likes

If the claims made by ASIC are proven to be correct, Mitchell should be punished to the fullest extent possible

1 Like

There was a stench back then about all of this. Shame it has only come to fruition now. Seven shat the bed at the thought of losing the tennis. But having board members in cahoots is diabolical.

All explosive and very interesting, filthy tactics.

But what also raises my eyebrow is this at the end:

“The Australian Open will this year be shown on Nine, publisher of this masthead , after the company paid $348.5 million to secure the broadcast rights until 2024”.

Also, what is a “ratings bonus” (as claimed in a table provided in the article, apparently showing a small part of the rights is money for how well it rates?)

What about it raises the eyebrow?

A bonus paid if agreed ratings targets have been met. Incentivises the sport to keep putting the best matches etc in prime time and stops them from giving up/stop attracting the best talent (unlikely with a grand slam but still) once they get their initial deal.

1 Like

Alleged.

1 Like

Cynical I know and I like The Age/SMH, but the fact Nine now own could mean for all we know someone within pushed for this to be released? It does make bitter rival Seven out to be ‘dogs’ with Stokes’ right hand tactician McWilliam.

Ah, thank you, makes sense now. Seven and TA may have had different approaches to this though, for example, Seven may have been all about winning shares over their rivals, ‘biggest slice of FTA pie’ where as TA may have been about raw ratings numbers for matches?

If winnings night’s from having the rights is a priority for Seven, helping to maximise exposure for network promos and best lead-in to Q1, then they certainly delivered. Winning every night in network and main channel share. Something I’ve no doubt attracted Nine executives eyes this year. The fact the wins were achieved against a couple of One Day cricket and multiple BBL games too, including on Men’s Final night!