Seven Tennis Coverage

It was a joke :stuck_out_tongue:

Well there’s not much I can do about it so I just have to accept it, I guess. It’s no big deal to me, I watched the cricket when it was Nine so I will probably do the same with the tennis now next year. Honestly, when it comes to sports I couldn’t care less who the host broadcaster is. I would watch it for the sport, not the network it’s on. I suppose it will be good to see a change of sport on Seven and if Seven do indeed get the cricket rights, I can’t wait to see who they would use for their hosts and commentators and what the graphics would be like. Who from Seven would jump ships to Nine to follow the tennis rights and vice versa for the cricket? I struggle to imagine Bruce McAvaney or Hamish McLachlan hosting the cricket…

I know.

1 Like

Seven still have 2 years left, including this year on their Tennis Australia contract. @Mitchell_Nock

1 Like

Oh, must have missed that part. I thought it was from next year the way you were all talking. Well there’s no need to be alarmed just yet.

2020 nine takes over

1 Like

Yes. 1 more “Summer of Tennis” from 7.

1 Like

I wonder if they will take that opportunity to launch something new out of the tennis.

1 Like

I wonder whom Todd Woodbridge will work for comes 2020. He currently is both a Tennis Australia employee and a commentator for Seven’s tennis coverage.

Good to hear.

MKR has been declining in popularity in recent years (and is probably nearing the end of it’s lifecycle), so I really hope Seven will launch something new out of the last Summer of Tennis they’ll have for a while.

3 Likes

Very sad day for Seven, seeing the end of a 40 year relationship. Tennis was integral to the success of Desperate Housewives, My Kitchen Rules and other shows. But the Summer of Tennis didn’t set Seven up for success for every one of the years it was on Seven. There were many programs that failed to successfully launch off the back of the Australian Open and Nine dominated Seven for most of those 40 years. So Nine’s acquisition will set the scene for an interesting summer in 2020.

Without tennis or any summer sport, you would have to think Seven would be at a considerable disadvantage.

6 Likes

Funny that I said this earlier in the day since we just had Bruce discuss the cricket scandal and throw over to Steve Smith’s press conference at half time in the Crows v Tigers game tonight.

1 Like

Surprised this hasn’t been brought up yet but I wonder what today’s news means for the future of Seven’s Wimbledon coverage? Not sure when those rights expire but it will be interesting to see when they do whether Seven will want to renew them without having the Australian Open to sit alongside it

1 Like

Very interesting. This is going to massively affect their audience numbers in Q1. 7 rely on using sport as launching platforms for shows. The fact they have lost this is huge

1 Like

Good …they launch the same shit every year. Shit that no one wants to watch.

5 Likes

Yes, but I wonder how they’ll treat it now they’ve lost the rights. Foxtel greatly downgraded their coverage in their last year after losing the rights. They didn’t seem to care any more.

Overly critical I would have thought. 2 channels of coverage for most of the summer and every match of the Aus open live on the free app is pretty good if you ask me. I know there is a lot of seven’s coverage which is far from perfect but there is already talk of nine selling off parts to Foxtel, if that happens that’ll be a definite step backwards for the coverage

4 Likes

LOL. Nine wouldn’t be any better with nauseating Married at First Sight happening ‘After the tennis’.

Good thing is we don’t have to be inflicted with Mr Useless…I mean Hamish McLachlan anymore.

9 Likes

Seven will cover Wimbledon this year and possibly next year (Nine has exclusive rights to the 2019 Ashes tour to England). After that, Seven could bid for the rights to the 2023 Ashes tour and drop Wimbledon in the process.

1 Like

With the tennis gone, 7 should go all out and get the rugby league. With AFL and RL, and some good programming around it, they would be unbeatable.

2 Likes

Given this is the first season of the current rights deal which expires in 2022 that is a long way down the track.

2 Likes