Seven Tennis Coverage

Yes I can say it. And I obviously did. :roll_eyes:

Yet you were still hoping Married would fail… And from what I read he never said he hopes Seven fail just that seven are left with nothing over the summer.

Which isn’t my thoughts. I think Seven do a great job with the tennis and I actually think this is a silly move by tennis Australia. But I think you need to remember you make comments very similar about other networks.

1 Like

But I was hoping MAFS the show would fail, not the whole Nine Network itself, there is a big difference there. He was saying that he was hoping Seven would be left with nothing over the summer which is basically saying that he is hoping they will fail; if they have nothing of course they’ll fail!!

Of course I do agree that Nine will likely do a terrible job with the tennis compared to what Seven do and it is a silly move. I suppose you do have a point though, I do say similar things about other networks but only because I genuinely think their shows are terrible.

Its not saying that at all. Tennis is only a small part of summer. Seven are competitive even without the tennis.

3 Likes

I think News Corp have little more that what MS members have seen on-line - , Fairfax article and tweets.

I like change. I always change things at my workplace. I’m in a senior leadership position and constantly changing things to drive improvement and growth. I’m absolutely abhor people who say “we’ve always done it this way”; “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. Wrong. If change doesn’t occur mediocrity ensues.

I’ve always hated the status quo in all facets of life and will rail against it where possible.

So changing tennis broadcasters will improve things for everyone including seven. They need to try something else. They’ve had it easy for too long.

8 Likes

so it just goes to show money trumps loyalty, which I happen to put above 2 weeks ago.

You did. I personally don’t think its the right move by Tennis Australia and am going to be very interested to see how it performs when/if Nine get the rights.

1 Like

Now it has been confirmed that Nine has won a new broadcast deal with Tennis Australia worth $60 million a year (as Fairfax has predicted). However the deal expires at the end of 2024, which could open the way for Seven to get a new contract in order to show the Australian Open in 2025, 50 years since Seven’s coverage began.

2 Likes

However will people know what Seven is going to show at the start of the year now?

4 Likes

Serves the right. They got the last deal in dodgy circumstances. They have abused the sport for many years and imposed people like Hamish mchlachan on viewers so they need their comeuppance.

Will be nice to see a new broadcaster have a go.

TA being stupid yet again? What a surprise! I don’t expect Nine to give the same treatment seven has done over the last few years, i really hope this isnt a dark day for tennis in australia where they have gone money over exposure because i simply don’t trust nine, their sports coverage has been a shambles over the past couple of decades.

We will wait and see i suppose…

3 Likes

Wow, okay now it has been confirmed it now feels real. What is Seven going to show at the start of the year now sportswise? Now they can’t advertise shows like MKR & H&A start ‘after the tennis’ anymore…

Well I guess they could if they wanted to.

1 Like

'After The Tennis on Nine ':rofl:

2 Likes

Please tell me you’re going to be OK with the Australian Open airing on Channel Nine, @Mitchell_Nock!

Possibly cricket. Can’t imagine Nine wanting to pick up the rights for coverage that’s going to clash with the Australian Open + lead-up tournaments.

Although I’m sure Nine are absolutely delighted that for (at least) five years from 2020, they’ll be able to constantly air “After The Tennis” promos for programs like Married At First Sight during their coverage! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Gee l could just imagine what @LukeMovieMan reaction to this news today would’ve been. :scream:

3 Likes

I am 100% confident it will be back on Seven at the beginning of 2025. They’ll do anything to secure it back and Nine don’t really have the reporters for that type of thing just like the Olympics but in saying that people might jump ship.

People would be on contracts that will expire or be for the length of a contract.

I have always loved Tennis and thought 7 have done a great job. 9 will build a team and also do a good job I am sure.

Cricket question is interesting. It does show that networks just don’t have bottomless reserves of $$$ to spend and are needing to be selective. It’s not as simple as we want it so get to keep it.

Not when they aren’t the host broadcaster of the sport anymore, that would be silly.

1 Like